What Wood Do I Need To Build This Stand? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What wood do I need to build this stand?

New homeowner looking to install a dishwasher, elevated on a stand with a microwave above it. I've attached a terrible sketch of what I'd like it to look like

Width will be 24.5", height to be somewhere around 58" give or take an inch, and depth needs to be 24"

The dishwasher will be elevated off the ground 8 inches and enclosed tightly with a small storage area immediately above it, another 10". Then one more compartment for the microwave above the storage slot.

I can make the stand come together if I have the right wood, but I don't know much about what wood is available or what is going to be best. The dishwasher weighs 67lbs unloaded.

What wood and sizes would you use to make this happen? I know I sound like a complete novice/noob and if you call me that, you'd be pretty accurate! Thanks fellas

Advertisement

manofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you're painting it you could use birch plywood. Not the imported $25/sheet stuff the home centers sell, but quality birch plywood from a lumberyard with good sheet goods. The US/Canadian stuff is much, much better and more stable. Even better, baltic birch...Big bucks though.

If you're staining, your options are limitless. Hardwood veneer plywood is available in a number of species that really run the entire spectrum of price. Last time I bought A-2 oak it was around $50/sheet, and that's not high-end stuff by any means.

If you want faceframes, plan on poplar for paint grade or whatever hardwood you want for stain grade.

Don't forget the back. 1/4" plywood will work well.

Assuming that you're able to assemble this thing using proper joinery (hint...Not just screws and nails), which will be critical in getting a good end result. Dadoes, rabbets...All necessary.

www.woodworkingtalk.com has a lot of knowledgeable woodworkers that can help you in detail if needed.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I do plan on staining. Could the birch plywood not be stained, if I were to use a pre-conditioner?

Thank you for the other hints and link as well.
manofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Birch plywood is stainable, but for slightly more you can get a more attractive wood. Also think about what color you want it to be. If you want it to be dark then maybe buy a darker wood such as cherry or walnut as oposed to buying oak and staining it cherry color. Light colored might choose birch or maple. Oak is in the middle. Nice think about oak is it is common and inexpesive. Birch is light colored and somewhat plain,but is easily stainable. You are going to want an A-grade plywood. Like Termite said go to a lumberyard. You can also build it from boards if you know how to make glue-ups, but probably not based on your post. You are only going to use 1 sheet of ply at the most so the most expensive sheets will be 150 at the most. If you go with say birch, cherry, or oak face frame boards will be readily available at a good lumberyard. Look for one that specializes in hardwoods. Some focus on construction lumber such as.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote