DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What weather striping for doors?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  steve b 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,,,,,I'm replacing a number of exterior doors in my house and am looking for suggestions for the best way to seal them against weather. I'm using solid knotty pine slabs and so will be cutting them as necessary to fit the existing openings. It gets pretty hot in summer here and fairly cold in winter and I'm looking for an elegant solution that will keep my heating bills to a minimum and restrict the action of the door as little as possible. Some of the doors are french doors as well so I'll be needing to seal the gap between them of course.
Also, there is very little available locally so I'll be shopping mainly via the web. The closest Home Despot is 3 hours. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
I've used the weatherstrip in the link, (or something similar). Just don't get any finish on the vinyl bead. Stay away from the ones that have a foam bead on the edge. My experience has been that the foam crumbles from exposure to the sun. For the astragal on the French doors, a good quality self adhering foam tape is what I've used. Note the good quality part and don't get any finish on that either. What I do is hang the door, install the lock/latch and strike plate. Close and latch the door and then butt the stopping up to it from the outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.