DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What size beam do I need?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GBrackins 
#1 ·
I am tearing down a 24ft load bearing wall. It holds 20-2x12x20 rafters. I plan to put 4- 8x8 hand hewn posts in place of the wall. My question is, do I need a huge beam to support since I have posts and if so, what size beam would I need to put in to support the wall along with the posts? (thickness, width,etc) And should I go with laminate or a natural wood beam? I am after the old barn wood look.
Thanks

#3 ·
I personally would want to have a structural engineer look over the situation.

You need help to determine the size of the beam that is needed which is based on spans and loads. AND as importantly, the post supports. It isn't good enough to just put a post up without knowing the support structure under the post. That post needs to be supported all the way to the ground, sometimes with concrete footings.

So pay the money to get the proper help.

And make sure you pull any permits that may be required for your area.

#4 ·
not only do you need to know the size of the beam, but also the weight each of the columns is supporting and what is needed to size the footing/foundation for the columns. not much good to have a beam if the columns "sink" because the existing floor/slab/foundation cannot properly support them.

Engineers are always good money spent so you do things right the first time.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.