Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #1

Share |

What should I do with ugly in-wall cabinet? (pics)

I'm thinking if gutting it out and installing a new cabinet. Any tips? Where should I buy the cabinet. How can I remove the cabinet frame

Last edited by handbanana; 03-05-2007 at 05:40 PM.
handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #2

Built-in cabinets are difficult to remove because....well because they're built in place. To remove it, you usually have to demo the whole thing and start over. I would consider refurbishing it with new drawers and a new door front, maybe add a light and some new shelves. If you do want to tear it out, and assuming it's not some weird size, try Ikea, they have some tall cabinets that might fit in there.
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
remodeling pro

I would just replace drawer fronts and door, spend a little time with a RO sander cleaning uo the existing case, and repaint.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
I would just replace drawer fronts and door, spend a little time with a RO sander cleaning uo the existing case, and repaint.
Where do you think I should buy the drawer fronts and the door? thanks!
handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
despriate4repairs

home depot should have some stuff like that right??? anyway i think that would be a cute space if you redecorated and maybe used some baskets to organize a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kelly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home!
depriate4repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #6

Cool

Check with a local cabinet supplier. They might have some that are deemed "unusable" by a builder's standard, but with minimal TLC can look great... and at 1/3 the cost. Or, you can buy a piece of nice wood, cut out a new front and route that sucker to your liking!
overkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
remodeling pro

The simplest thing would be to have a local cab shop make them for you. Or look on line for "cabinet parts" or "cabinet drawers/boxes". I believe they can even be ordered from "Rockler", check their web site; they may not do anything as big as your door.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #8

I agree with the rest of the guys. IMO, I wouldn't demo the thing if you're just going to put another cabinet in its place. You'll just be opening up a can of worms.

Like they've already said, just replacing the door and the drawer fronts would make a nice difference. I would probably replace all the drawer hardware so the drawers really glide smoothly. I would also use some hidden hinges for the door. Then get some nice knobs/pulls for the hardware.

IMO, you could make that existing structure look really nice without redoing the entire thing.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Maybe.... you could use this repair as an excuse (justificaton) to remodel your whole house .... or to buy every wood working tool you wanted (complete tool-shop set up) .....

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-16-2007 at 04:10 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote