Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

Share |

What saw blade for finished cherry?

I am doing my first cabinet install, and not sure what is the best blade to use on my table saw and miter saw. Both use 10" blades. My miter saw right now has a 10" 60 tooth blade. I think my table saw has a similar blade. Have to look again at that.

Would this be good enough for a smooth cut through cherry wood that is prefinished? or should I increase the number of teeth?

House Information: Build 1996, 1500 sq ft basement, 1500 sq ft 1st floor, 800 sq ft 2nd floor, 560 sq ft unfinished attic space on 2nd floor. Insulation: Attic blown fiberglass, walls R-19, Basement R-19. HVAC: Trane xc95m fully modulating furnace, single zone, Trane XL20i commiunicating AC unit, TCONT900 Communicating thermostat.
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

I have found all blades are not equal even if teeth are. I used one type of Freud blade that was terrible, but have a Freud Diablo that is great. If you go to a good lumber yard or tool store, Freud seems to make a blade for each type of wood and for crosscut or ripping it. The yard I use has about 20 different 10" blades. you can ask where you buy your tools what others are using.

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Stairguy

I like to use atb blades because they are good for miter saws and table saw rips. I like 80t but 60 will be fine. Be sure to use a backer board when cutting on the chop saw to prevent tear out.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #4

If the wood is prefinished I would use a 96 tooth blade on the chop saw and put painters tape over were I want to cut because that really reduces and tear out that you might get. For that table saw 60 tooth is fine but again I would put painters tape over were I am going to cut.
framer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

I do a lot of work using cherry. It is a beautiful wood, but not particularly hard. I have had good success using the Freud Diablo, as was previously mentioned. I have also use some 80 tooth cross cut blades with good success. I only use carbide tipped blades, and when they get dull (this takes a long time), I throw them out rather than get them professionally sharpened, which costs about as much as a new blade.

A couple of things to consider. A chop saw is almost always used for cross cutting, so you want a cross cut blade for that. A table saw may be used for cross cutting or ripping. You can use a combination blade in a table saw, but if you want the best cut, you should use a rip blade when ripping. I have a sliding compound saw, so I rarely cross cut on the table saw, so I have a rip blade as my default on the table saw.

I have never had a problem with tearout using the sliding saw, not sure why others are having that issue. Definitely have the potential for tearout when using a router table and cherry, there I always use a sacrificial backer board. Never had a problem with tearout while ripping. Bear in mind that cherry can have wild grain, so if you joint it or hand plane it, watch the grain pattern closely, you can make a mess out of it if you are not careful, especially if you have curly grained cherry.

Enjoy.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Stairguy

For the record it only cost me $12 to sharpen a $50 60t blade. And they can be sharpened 10-15 times or retiped for $2 a point
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Millertyme For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
DIY staff

Daniel---You should consider getting those old blades sharpened---I send mine out in a one price mailing carton---costs me about $13.00for a 10" blade---

They cut as good as new----
Maintenance 6 (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Most of my 60-80 tooth blades and combination blades have some really hefty carbides on them. I'd hate to toss them. Find the right sharpening service and they can be good as new for far less than the price of a professional blade.

Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote