1. Base cabinets w/no exposed sides.
2. Upper cabinets with exposed sides.
Hardwood face frames.
For the unexposed areas I used 3/4" birch plywood (Chinese made, many plys and durable in my experience, and cheap). For the exposed areas, I used a good domestic 3/4" birch plywood. For the face frames, I used the finished birch lumber from Home Depot (believe it or not...). Also, I cut all of the plywood using a circular saw---with a little practice, I found I could easily cut to within acceptable tolerances. For the face frames, I used my chop saw.
I still haven't got around to putting on the cabinet doors. So far, it has all seemed to work out pretty well, and I had 0 experience doing anything like this.
The attached photo was designed to show off my soapstone tile countertop (also a work in progress...) but you can get some idea what the cabinets look like.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD For This Useful Post: