DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Carpentry (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/)
-   -   What is this molding? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f14/what-molding-135325/)

noone 02-28-2012 07:57 AM

What is this molding?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if any of you could identify this molding. Here are the profiles I have access to- http://mouldingandmillwork.com/pdf/I...file_Guide.pdf

It looks like a standard bullnose apron piece of trim, but for the life of me, I can't find it on the above sheet....!

Thanks for any help.

12penny 02-28-2012 08:15 AM

Base cap. Page 34.

noone 02-28-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny (Post 865511)
Base cap. Page 34.

That doesn't look like it. The profile in my example picture is used as the counter top for a wood cabinet built-in. It's the edging for a piece of 3/4" ply countertop. The base cap you reference has a slight lip on the top and not rounded straight so that it would lay flush with the 3/4" ply top.

12penny 02-28-2012 09:08 AM

So does the one in your pic. Enlarge the picture and its clearly visible.:)

DannyT 02-28-2012 09:14 AM

what 12penny said.

noone 02-28-2012 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny (Post 865533)
So does the one in your pic. Enlarge the picture and its clearly visible.:)

Sorry, I fail to see how any of these look like the molding in my example picture. :eek::eek::eek:

12penny 02-28-2012 09:27 AM

Again, enlarge the pic you gave us and its there.


Its #1201. But, the one in your pic appears to be 1 1/2" tall whereas 1201 is 1 1/4"

noone 02-28-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny (Post 865547)
Again, enlarge the pic you gave us and its there.

The red arrow above shows a part of the profile that is not on my example pic. I am assuming that you are thinking the 1201 is the molding. The point of the modling in my example pic is to provide an edging for a countertop. So what I am looking for is more of an edge banding/stool/apron thing. What am I missing here?

12penny 02-28-2012 09:40 AM

Did u enlarge the pic? I'm tellin ya, except for size thats the exact same profile.

And no millwork catalog I,ve ever seen has a section for countertop/apron/edging thingies.

Thats a base cap, used as a countertop/shelf edge.

I'm going to work know.:wink:

noone 02-28-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12penny (Post 865557)
Did u enlarge the pic? I'm tellin ya, except for size thats the exact same profile.

And no millwork catalog I,ve ever seen has a section for countertop/apron/edging thingies.

Thats a base cap, used as a countertop/shelf edge.

I'm going to work know.:wink:

I did enlarge it but I still couldn't see that little lip. I believe you. Sorry for doubting ya....... :whistling2:

framer52 02-28-2012 09:59 AM

if you take and look at the box stores that is a perfect picture of the base cap.

woodworkbykirk 02-28-2012 10:26 PM

the molding shown in the first picture looks like either small chair rail or a panel molding. panel moldings are used for banding edges of plywood to hide the veneers or for small decorative moldings for columns, mantels and other ornate trim details

joecaption 02-28-2012 10:30 PM

Looks like base cap to me.
If there was a lip at the top it would be panel cap.
http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...se+cap+molding

Missouri Bound 02-28-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noone (Post 865559)
I did enlarge it but I still couldn't see that little lip. I believe you. Sorry for doubting ya....... :whistling2:

I completely agree....that lip isn't there in your original picture.:no:

12penny 02-29-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri Bound (Post 866198)
I completely agree....that lip isn't there in your original picture.:no:


It must be time for me to have my eyes checked. Normally I dont see things that are there. Now I'm seeing things that arent there.

Sure looks like a small reveal to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.