Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #1

Share |

What to look for in kitchen cabinets?

I will be needing new kitchen cabinets soon. I was just wondering what should I look for when it comes to a durable material? I need to keep it within a low badget. I have heard there is plywood cabinets... what else is there, presswood I heard which are low quality I heard?. Please advice me, I know nothing about cabinets.

thanks

gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #2

How many cabinets will you need?
Rough idea on a budget?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #3

Well, the kitchen would be an L shape about 12ft by 4ft of cabinets (if this helps in any way). As far as the badget, I don't have a fix amount in mind. I wanted to research on the type of quality I should be looking for. I guess I just don't want the cabinets to fall apart in a year. I would like something inexpensive but still looks good. Nothing fancy or too elaborate.
gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #4

Kitchen cabinets are hard to skimp on. If you have to replace cheap cabinets every 5-10 years, a better brand will save you money in the long run. If you have to go inexpensive, hit an Ikea store near you. They have cabinets for less than you can buy the materials for (But you are still assembling yourself).

If you don't have an Ikea, you can settle for the instore cabinets of HD or Lowes, but for another grand order some that will last you a while.
JulioQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Cabinets are not automatically low quality just because the sides of the boxes are constructed of particle board. Many nice mid line and even some lines considered to be upper end use this type of material for the non visible sides of their boxes. Stay away from the bottom end of any brand, because they will all use poor quality cheap drawer glides and hinges, and less durable methods of assembly for the drawer boxes. I always recommend upgrading to wood drawer boxes and better quality slides. Once you level the playing field with equal hardware and drawer boxes, the price difference is driven mostly by the quality of the finish. There is a big labor difference between a cabinet face with only a couple coats of clear finish, verses one with stain, decorative glaze, hand rubbed distressed finish, and clear coat.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote