What Kind Of Saw Should I Get? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

What kind of saw should I get?

I have never bought a saw before, but I think I will be needing one for some projects. I have some trim to put on the floors of my kitchen and bathroom. I also plan to cut some 2x4's to build a shed. I will probably be cutting some plywood as well.

Would a table saw be the best way to go? Or should I be looking at a circular saw? I know with the trim I will be doing some mitering, but I think they make some cheap mitering boxes for that purpose.

So in short, i'm not going to be building things left and right here. But I want to invest a quality saw that I can use for multiple things that is appropriate for what I need it for.

I appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

Advertisement

strategery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

First and foremost u will need a circular saw, u can get a rip guide for it got small rips. Miter saw lowes has a 7 1/4 slide that will work great for $105 can't beat it

Advertisement

kaschmid3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kaschmid3 For This Useful Post:
hand drive (02-27-2013), oh'mike (03-01-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Circular saws I've used in the order I rate them ftom best to worst makita Milwaukee craftsman portercable ridgid dewalt skil
Old 02-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

the circular saw is a prime candidate for a multiple use saw. I've put up crown molding with a skil saw - 31.9*-33.9* works most of the time.
not recommended- but in a pinch...

a small slide miter chop saw is also great for fine trim cuts and you can get different blades with less # of teeth and generally cut 2x4 with it (for repetitive boxing blocks, a miter saw can't be beat).

for radius cuts a jig saw works well

for long rip cuts a table saw works great

a reciprocating saw ( sawz all) is great for fixing when you mess up
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 156

how in gods name did you cut crown with a circ saw.. id hate to see the expressoin on the painters face when they went to fill that

as for best saws.. makita yes, milwaukee yes,, craftsman no... rigid wormdrive is extremely nice but the sidewinder is junk

mitre saw for trim and decking. circ saw for framing and breaking down sheet goods
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 552

a circular saw will do most but for trim it is best to use miter saw
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschmid3 View Post
Circular saws I've used in the order I rate them ftom best to worst makita Milwaukee craftsman portercable ridgid dewalt skil

I've used all that you posted except for the craftsman. for the craftsman are you speaking of how they are now made as compared to years ago?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive

I've used all that you posted except for the craftsman. for the craftsman are you speaking of how they are now made as compared to years ago?
Pretty much same as porter cable
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #9

Aside ftom festool I would take makita circular saw any day by far over others
Old 02-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Buy a good miter saw. Then cheap out on the circular saw to save some money. I try to buy Milwaukee power tools. Hell go to the local pawn shop for a circular saw. Put a new blade on it.

Last edited by 747; 02-27-2013 at 10:59 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747
Buy a good miter saw. Then cheap out on the circular saw to save some money. I try to buy Milwaukee power tools. Hell go to the local pawn shop for a circular saw. Put a new blade on it.
I would agree with that but depending on budget for miter saw I love the dewalt 12 in slide if u have 500 that's why I would get the 7 1/4 slide if your not gonna use it all the time
Old 02-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post

you still want the circ saw to cut straight and not be bent at the base etc.. From my experience, all of the crazy safety blade triggers on the cheap circ saws seem to cause me to almost cut my finger off more so than with a normal easy to use saws. the only time I touch the cheapos is when it is time to demo, they go until they start to smoke
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 156

There is no reason to get an expensive saw if you arent going to be using it alot. I have a craftsman circular saw (evolv model) and I have made thousands of cuts with it and I love it. Its very light and keep a good blade on it and it wont fail you. if you are going to be doing alot of miter cuts I would get a miter saw. Me personally always stick to a sliding miter saw. But in reguards to me I also go cheap on those. I do alot of shopping at harbor freight and purchased their 10" sliding miter saw last year. Put a new 80T blade on it and it cuts just as good as our Hitachi and DeWalts do at work. Only thing I hate about it is it only bevels the one way. So I just went and bought their newest 12" double bevel miter saw for $140. Havent actually tried it yet as its on its way here but it got good reviews. I will be getting a 12" 100T Irwin Marples blade for it as thats what we have on our one saw at work and it cuts without a single flaw in the wood.
Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschmid3 View Post
That's debatable.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 512

i dont think i was ever in a pinch so bad that i cut crown with a circular saw. i'd wait till i had the proper saw. if you dont have the time to do it right the first time then when are you going to find the time to do it over the second time correctly?
i agree cheap out on a circular saw and buy a decent little miter saw. and down the road buy yourself a table saw

Advertisement

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote