Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What to Fill Hole in the Trim With?

At the bottom of my wall in the living room, in the trim, the previous owner had drilled a hole in it. About the size of a nickel. I don't have the matching trim paint, so i don't plan on repainting it, but what can I buy from home depot or lowes to plug it up for now?

thanks...

also, should you plug up nail holes in the wall with something as well when they are no longer being used? (again i don't have the matching touch up paint color right now).

limitdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Stick something in the hole that has some resistance, but can be pushed below the surface. A wine cork might do the trick.

Then get lightweight vinyl spackle. I've been using a DAP product. You also need a putty knife. Spread it on and smooth it with the knife.

Use the same thing to fill your nail holes. After it dries, maybe two hours, go back and use your finger to wipe around the holes. The excess will easily rub off the paint, so you'll have a neatly filled hole with no mess around it.

If you mess up, just wipe it with water and it will come right off.

Don't eat it -- read the label first.

I've had good results using ACE hardware to match paint colors if I could take a bit of it into them.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
Stick something in the hole that has some resistance, but can be pushed below the surface. A wine cork might do the trick.

Then get lightweight vinyl spackle. I've been using a DAP product. You also need a putty knife. Spread it on and smooth it with the knife.

Use the same thing to fill your nail holes. After it dries, maybe two hours, go back and use your finger to wipe around the holes. The excess will easily rub off the paint, so you'll have a neatly filled hole with no mess around it.

If you mess up, just wipe it with water and it will come right off.

Don't eat it -- read the label first.

I've had good results using ACE hardware to match paint colors if I could take a bit of it into them.
thanks for the info...do you remember what the DAp product is called? Is it called DAP Vinyl Spackle?

Something like this:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...yl%20Spackling
limitdiy is offline   Reply With Quote