What Fasteners For Red Oak Wood? - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 29

What fasteners for red oak wood?

Recently I decided to rebuild some speakers that I bought not long ago. I originally was gonna paint them but that didnt turn out as well as I wanted, so I just decided to rebuild the speaker cabinets from scratch because I didnt like the cheapness of the MDF material. Im using 1/2" red oak for the front of the speaker cabinets were the speakers screw into. I still have the screws that screwed down the speakers on the old speaker cabinet but I'm concerned about how the red oak will take the screws in terms of splitting or whatever. I could drill holes through and then use bolts and nuts to secure the speakers but that would make it a bit difficult to maintenence the speakers in the future because access to the nuts would be a bit difficult.

What type of screw works best for oak wood, or is there another type of fastener better suited for the job?

Advertisement

konsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

Any screws will work, just predrill the holes to the size of the root of the threads. Just hold the drill bit up behind the screw and check by eye to make sure it's not to big.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

You may want to consider through bolting them with a bolt appropriate for the size speaker, e.g. 10 - 24 or a 1/4 -20 and recess the head into the 1/2 front. Through bolting with a bit of locite and they will not loosen with the vibration. You are obviously drilling for thru bolting but make sure you drill a hole for a screw to prevent splitting if you are screwing the speakers to the back side of the oak.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Any screws will work, just predrill the holes to the size of the root of the threads. Just hold the drill bit up behind the screw and check by eye to make sure it's not to big.
My main concern is that the screw holes that hold the speakers are only about 1/4" from the hole the speaker inserts into, and 1/4" probably is enough but I'd rather use something that doesnt dig into the wood with such a small distance as it is. I included a picture of the basic layout and as you can see the screw holes cant be moved because they are at a specific location on the speakers.

So I guess what I'm looking for is something that doesnt dig into the wood but will allow removal of the speakers without access to the inside if need be.

What about drilling the hole and then inserting one of those plastic inserts that you jam into a hole and then screws screw into those?

Last edited by konsole; 04-22-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #5

If I understand the assembly correctly the speakers are mounted with the flange on the outside of the speaker box and you want future access to the speaker without going inside the box; a screw, e.g. panhead sheet metal screw with a phillips head or square driven into the 1/2" front, pre-drilled hole should do it. If the speaker hole is drilled/cut carefully you should be able to use a small screw, 1/2" #6 or #8, to secure the speaker. I don't see a plastic anchor being a solution but perhaps a "brass screw insert". Although I think that it may be more than you need, if there is space to drill the hole for the inserts they work nicely. search "brass screw insert" at a distributor such as Rockler.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tinnerman clip?
http://www.tinnerman.com/en/products/trueline2.php
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
I'm not sure what your pointing me at here?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by konsole View Post
I'm not sure what your pointing me at here?

I think he meant this: CLIP

Advertisement

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote