DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What can we do with this screened porch?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  pcampbell 
#1 ·
Our porch has some screened panels that are falling apart. The small ones (left and right on porch, and left/right of door on the right face), to give you an idea on size are 84 5/8 tall and 24 3/16 wide. I didn't measure the middle ones yet (need to get a ladder). Basically what we would like to do is make something similar, that will fit in between the white posts and be secured, but would essentially be permanent, although technically removable. What we want to be able to do is not allow cold air to get in during the winter, and in the summer have at least the ability to open some sort of window and have it be partially screened. I do not think it will be difficult but I don't know where to begin with respect to what sort of windows could be used. Obviously we are not looking for regular windows, and 24" wide is quite small. Could anyone offer any suggestions as to where to start?

See less See more
#2 ·
My suggestion would be to have a hardware store make you some screens and windows that could fit into some simple cedar frames that permanently attach to your posts. The screens and windows are essentially modular (in aluminum frames, which can be done reasonably economically), and therefore can be taken in and out. I'd simply attach some 1x2 cedar to the posts and the ceiling, and "sandwich" the modular panels in there using another 1x2 and a few screws. The screws could easily be removed when the seasons change, a new panel inserted, and the 1x2 and screws replaced.

You'd need to use tempered glass for safety of course.

#3 ·
Thanks... I think what we would love though, due to our laziness and lack of storage space, is actually have something that we don't really ever take out, but could take out if we had to. So what I'd like is something we can open and close. I think we would even be willing to do solid panes on all the skinnier ones, and only put in a functional window in the middle space which is significantly larger, providing it doesn't make it look too dumb.

#6 ·
Talk to some local patio door/screen fab shops, you should be able to find fabricators of both vinyl and aluminum in the phone book. Sounds like you want a setup similiar to what is found in a typical aftermarket "storm door" where there is a operabale glass panel/fixed panel combination. They can make the units sized for your openings.

#7 ·
Is this something I could try to tackle myself. I don't even know where to begin though. The ones that are in there correctly are literally pieces of wood held together by small 90 degree braces. I would prefer not to do that, as it seems a bit shoddy. We would really love to get this protected from the weather by fall for winter. But at this point in time we don't have a huge budget - I am not even sure what amount would be reasonable though. We are looking more for function over form at this time but I think anything new should be an improvement over what currently exists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.