Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 538

What is behind the facia board

On many of the houses out here the rafter tails are joined by a 3/4 inch piece of wood. Then wrapped in aluminum, then the gutter goes over that. My question is, how can I look at a house and and know how it was originally framed in regards to how the fascia was done. This is important to me when I have to repair a gutter. Some houses are truss framed and the rafter tails are joined with a 2x6, then a facia board, then the gutter. So I am 30 feet in the air trying to grab some wood with a gutter spike and want to know, how to find some wood to screw into. Any help too understand this would be great.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,000

Use hidden gutter hangers and attach them any place you want to.
I have not use a gutter nail or screw in at least 10 years.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,020

Well first of all, I would not use gutter spikes on a dog house, as the hidden hangers result in so much cleaner of a look, but other than that, I guess you would have to look up into the undereaves to tell. This would require removal of a piece of soffit material.

OK Guys, I promise, this is the last time I post a picture of my garage roof, honest. Its just to show the gutter. Hidden hangers 24 inches on center Fascia clad with .032 ALuminum
Attached Thumbnails
What is behind the facia board-img_0032.jpg  

Last edited by jagans; 06-14-2013 at 09:36 PM.
jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Lord of Slums

With a hidden hanger I can go anywhere on the gutter? Many times that I have used a hidden hanger the whole gutter pulls back off, at least with a gutter screw I can grab some wood. I am about ready to just throw the towel in on this whole gutter stuff. After cleaning and re securing these bent up gutters I would just be better off just getting new gutters.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
With a hidden hanger I can go anywhere on the gutter? Many times that I have used a hidden hanger the whole gutter pulls back off, at least with a gutter screw I can grab some wood. I am about ready to just throw the towel in on this whole gutter stuff. After cleaning and re securing these bent up gutters I would just be better off just getting new gutters.
Not to speak for Joe but he and I assumed a solid fascia of at least 3/4 inch white pine, and why would you be hanging a bent gutter? Just call in a seamless gutter guy and get it rolled off to length. The easiest way to get bent gutters is to use gutter spikes.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
Lord of Slums

I fell behind on things a bit and many of my properties the gutters have come loose, and have come detached on the ends. It is the same routine, line the gutter up tap a few spikes back in then go to banging away. I am spending nearly ten hours a day pounding in gutter spikes. I have found what seems to work best. The hidden hangers are just to hard to get past the shingles and drip edge, they also do not hold the gutter tight to the facia. They do not seem to grip very well either. When the wood is too rotten to bang a spike into I will run a gutter screw into the wood, they seem to grip okay many times. By far the best way is too just reposition the gutter spike in a new hole and pound back in. Those spikes grip very well. I put the spike between my fingers so I hit my hand as apposed to hitting the gutter.