Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What baseboards to use?

The basement of our house is concrete with drywall walls. No studs behind the drywall...It was just glued to the concrete. The wall is also not straight but rather wavy...We tried oak boards glued with construction adheisive but that is pulling loose...Any suggestions?
Thanks
Chris

ysrchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

What baseboards to use?

Under the circumstances, the only thing I can think of recommending is commercial grade vinyl cove base. It's installed using adhesive. The adhesive can be purchased in a caulking type tube with an applicator tip.

Links:

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0116244.html

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6094692

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

What baseboards to use?

What about using polyurethane adhesive foam? Some home stores sell it, specifically Menards. Fastnal has a brand called Touch-n-Seal. Another on-line source is FarmTek.

It's a product much like Great Stuff insulating foam infact they have a pro adhesive product as well. The main difference is that when you fasten 2 things together the foam doesn't continue to expand and push the items apart. Rather, it kinda mashes out and get's extremely tacky. Apply it to the base, put it on the wall, hold for 30 to 60 seconds...it's done. If you get some on you, the wall floor what ever, don't wipe it up immediately, let it cure then either cut or break it off. The down side is that you have to have purchase dispensing gun to apply it, and they are not to expensive. The plus side is that the glue is water proof, so basement moisture will not be an issue.

Don't get it on you...you'll have to wear it off, not that I've ever done that of course...
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

What baseboards to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
What about using polyurethane adhesive foam? Some home stores sell it, specifically Menards. Fastnal has a brand called Touch-n-Seal. Another on-line source is FarmTek.

It's a product much like Great Stuff insulating foam infact they have a pro adhesive product as well. The main difference is that when you fasten 2 things together the foam doesn't continue to expand and push the items apart. Rather, it kinda mashes out and get's extremely tacky. Apply it to the base, put it on the wall, hold for 30 to 60 seconds...it's done. If you get some on you, the wall floor what ever, don't wipe it up immediately, let it cure then either cut or break it off. The down side is that you have to have purchase dispensing gun to apply it, and they are not to expensive. The plus side is that the glue is water proof, so basement moisture will not be an issue.

Don't get it on you...you'll have to wear it off, not that I've ever done that of course...
The problem with using any kind of adhesive (foam too) ''alone'' ......is that you will have irregularities (sp) along any wall, and more so, if that wall is attached to a concrete freezewall.
That creates areas where you need the baseboard to bend, conform, and stay put.............to contours where the baseboard does not want to stay.

That is the difficulty of not being able to nail areas.

Glues of any kind, just don't have that kind of anchoring power, without something to hold it in place for a length of time while the adhesives set.

Unusual option: Use strong adhesives and ''weights'' (Bricks or work-out type)to hold it against the wall areas that are irregular or ''stubborn''. (?)

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-24-2007 at 07:04 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

What baseboards to use?

I think you are going to need something without as much movement as wood for starters, such as mdf, provided you are confident of no moisture problems(prime the back of it before glueing) or one of the pvc or vinyl mouldings. This is obviously going to mean painting the base, which I suspect was natural or stained, since you used oak to begin with. The base is going to have to float over some of the low spots, which you will have to caulk. If you have access to a nail gun, you can shoot some nails at a severe angle into the drywall to assist the adhesive. If you use regular construction adhesive, use sub-floor adhesive, not the cheap home projects grade. I would suggest spending a few dollars more and going to a marine grade adhesive, such as 3M 5200, a polyurethane based product that is as tenacious as it gets.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

What baseboards to use?

Thanks for the reply...So far I think what sounds the best to use is the vinyl cove base...I don't really like the looks of it but if you saw the wall I think everybody would agree upon that decision...Thanks again
Chris

ysrchris is offline   Reply With Quote