Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Weird size lumber???

Hello! I have some wood rot to repair and I am trying to replace the board that is behind the gutter (I don't know what it is called?)

Anyways - it's a weird size 1-7/16" x 7-1/4". (I took a normal 2x4 and the 1-7/16" size is slightly smaller than the 2" on the 2x4 and I measured both dimensions twice, once with a tape measure and again with a yardstick.)

My questions are:

1) what is the board behind the gutter called; and
2) Where will I find this weird size lumber? (Home Depot, I looked but maybe in the wrong place?)

thanks.
Jeff
jeffeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Weird size lumber???

Interesting....
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

Weird size lumber???

Post a picture so we can see why the odd size.
Should have just been a 2 X 8. Which would be about 1-1/2 X 7-1/2"
If this is off a really old house that would explain it.
If it all has to match then get some rough cut lumber from a saw mill and have them plane to size.

It's called a fascia.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
call me E

Weird size lumber???

We have some lumber around here that's called 5/4. It' not as thick as 2x material.
You might get some of that and shim it to plane in line with the existing material
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #5

Weird size lumber???

Thanks for the quick replies! The house was built in 1990. The other fascias are the same dimensions...

Would it be OK if I took a 2x8 and used a table saw to get it to the 7-1/4"

Here are some images:
Attached Thumbnails
Weird size lumber???-fascia3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
JOATMON

Weird size lumber???

That is a 2x8.....which will be 1.5 x 7 1/4"

7/16" is close enough to 1 8/16"

Go to the HD and measure the wood.....you will be surprised at how much variance you get.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Weird size lumber???

Is there any drip caps on that roof? If not that why it's rotting out.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Weird size lumber???

thanks dawg, I'll have to measure the boards, I always thought they were 1/2" short.

joecaption, just moved in late last year, knowing the house had rot from the inspection - new roof with drip caps and new paint, that is painted over the rot.....

I'll update with what I ended up doing...

thanks everyone...
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
AHH, SPANS!!!

Weird size lumber???

I recommend pressure treated dry for that fascia instead of any type of white wood. you can prime every side of the white wood etc and it will still rot outside. pt dry will not rot and can be painted right away. you have to call your local lumber yard to find it, it is not available in lowes or home depot. you might could find a dry 2x6 though on top of the lumber stack but it is not kiln fried from factory and will still need to sit out in the air before painting.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #10

Wink

Weird size lumber???

well, here it is, all replaced. There actually is a fascia board that is exactly to my original dimensions - just have to hunt for it. Home Depot didn't have the size I needed, but Lowes did. Still have the small trim board to replace and some drip caps to attach. The hardest part was lifting the cement roof up to put the gutter edge underneath it... Not too bad for a 1st time novice!
Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Weird size lumber???-2013-06-15_19-47-31_363.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffeg For This Useful Post:
hand drive (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #11

Weird size lumber???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffeg View Post
Hello! I have some wood rot to repair and I am trying to replace the board that is behind the gutter (I don't know what it is called?)

Anyways - it's a weird size 1-7/16" x 7-1/4". (I took a normal 2x4 and the 1-7/16" size is slightly smaller than the 2" on the 2x4 and I measured both dimensions twice, once with a tape measure and again with a yardstick.)

My questions are:

1) what is the board behind the gutter called; and
2) Where will I find this weird size lumber? (Home Depot, I looked but maybe in the wrong place?)

thanks.
Jeff
I think we are all missing the point of his post. How could we have made this project easier for him. Any 2x8 would have worked as long as it was composed of the material he wanted. Why go through a stack of lumber to find one that was exactly 1 7/16. It is just not necessary. Also, it should be noted that yardsticks are not a common tool to have in your tool bags.
one cut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to one cut For This Useful Post:
RWolff (06-18-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Weird size lumber???

If it rotted, that would be due to poorly installed gutters, along with improper shingling and drip edge, when the roof was originally installed. Homes that are built these days are not expected to stand anymore than 30-40 years, before they need to be knocked down and a new one built in its place.

Only reason you see 70 plus year old homes getting knocked down in poor neighborhoods, is due to poor upkeep, not because of poor workmanship when it was originally built, even though there are some that are still standing, that should not be, that were originally Chicken Coops, or Hodge podged together, with whatever the person building the shack/shanty could scrounge together.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Haverhill Trade 1965

Weird size lumber???

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Post a picture so we can see why the odd size.
Should have just been a 2 X 8. Which would be about 1-1/2 X 7-1/2"
If this is off a really old house that would explain it.
If it all has to match then get some rough cut lumber from a saw mill and have them plane to size.

It's called a fascia.
I have only seen 1-1/2 x 7-1/4 2 x 8's and up for about 30 years in New England, Joe. When I started they were 1-3/4 x 7-3/4, then went to 5/8. I have always accused them of doing that so eventually you would have to use 2 x 10 where we used to use 2 x 8.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
Metal Roofing

Weird size lumber???

Northern Cal by any chance?

Typcially we use spruce fascia for that application because it is dry and usually a better quality than whats available at the BBS. Green lumber from HD or lowes is not going to hold paint well nor is it stable if your using 2x10 or 2x12 over 10'...it has a tendancy to warp and twist over time. Given the short length you replaced, you probably wont have to worry too much, but it is always better to use a dry material. You need a proper lumber yard to find it.

What you did looks good.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 AM   #15

Weird size lumber???

yes, I am in northern California, Sacramento area. The fascia I bought came primed and it was a match for my existing fascia. The cut has squared edges rather than the rounded edges of frame lumber. That was something I didn't notice at first and didn't post in my original post. I thought planks were planks.....

The fascia sections in the BBS had both 1x and 2x boards and all of it comes primed and with the squared edges. They are very small sections and I actually walked by the one in Lowes and had to ask somebody. The guy took me to the aisle I just left... haha

thanks for saying it looks good!