Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #1

Share |

Weekend Project or Not?

Is it feasible to do a 12x20' deck in a weekend?

We would need 3-4 posts/footings.

Actually, I should ask...is it possible to get the footings and framing of the deck finished in a weekend? I can do the actual decking by myself at a later date.

cibula11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #2

Weekend Project or Not?

I say yes. Depending on how well you have the process planned out, and if you could have all the materials delivered or on site first thing Sat. morning.

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #3

Weekend Project or Not?

I figured if we dug the footings first thing and had already lined up the inspector to check the depth, we could pour the footings and let it set up all day. Along with the ledger on the first day.

Then, next day complete all the framing. Does that sound about right?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM   #4

Weekend Project or Not?

I would nearly finnish the whole thing in one long day alone.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Weekend Project or Not?

But how do you get the footing to set up that fast?
I've heard that you don't want the footings to set up too fast because they might lose some strength. I have to go 40 inches down and at least 12" diameter.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #6

Weekend Project or Not?

I build all my decks on temp supports... Then I dont have to wait for the concrete to harden or have to wait for inspectors. I pour once they come. Sometimes I already have a few courses of decking down before they show up. I also like to leave the temps in till the project is 100% complete. Then I know the piers are good and set up.

In fact I dont know any other way to build decks. I dont know how to put the beam up first on piers... It just seems odd to me to even try that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #7

Weekend Project or Not?

The temp support is the way to go. It actually takes a lot of guess work out of the way. I guess it it not guess work but it is a lot of measuring then measuring then measuring to make sure it is all the way it should be. I know it sounds back wards and it is but it is the best way to go ( in my opinion)
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Weekend Project or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
I build all my decks on temp supports... Then I dont have to wait for the concrete to harden or have to wait for inspectors. I pour once they come. Sometimes I already have a few courses of decking down before they show up. I also like to leave the temps in till the project is 100% complete. Then I know the piers are good and set up.

In fact I dont know any other way to build decks. I dont know how to put the beam up first on piers... It just seems odd to me to even try that way.
I agree with you Robert. That is the same way we build our decks. We use temp. supports also until the end.
You definitely eliminate the waisted time it takes to wait around for the 'hole' inspection.
I also think that this helps you to get the piers placed 'spot-on', exactly where you want them, when you have the frame up. (Rather than doing it all 'backwards' as you mentioned)

BTW Cibula, - The key to doing your project in a 'set time', is to list every item that you will need to do this, and have them 'on-site'. Years ago, we had a couple of our workers building a deck project for us. They spent so much time driving back and forth to get more lumber and deck fasteners that they doubled the time of the job. (It was our foreman and he was ''supposed to'' spec. the proper materials needed for the job)
After that incident, I developed a spread sheet with all the different fasteners listed and all the different lumber segments needed to complete a deck project. Each can be listed by the dimensions needed and checked off, so nothing is overlooked or forgotten about.

Good Luck on your deck project.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-06-2007 at 07:17 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #9

Weekend Project or Not?

Hello,
will this work for any size deck it would seem that the larger the deck the harder this would be to do. and if parts where very low to the ground even harder. I did all my peirs first let them set for three days and set the posts built the beams on the posts and joist after that. I had drawn very detailed plans on the placment of posts and used a transit. It took all of one day to do the layout but after that it went fast. I used the larg part of the deck to layout the side platforms for hot tub and stairs.
apowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Weekend Project or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apowens View Post
Hello,
......I used the larg part of the deck to layout the side platforms for hot tub and stairs.

I assume that you added extra supports in the area for the hot tub - due to the extreme weight of water and people in it.....(?)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #11

Weekend Project or Not?

I used 12X12 posts on 24" footers and triple 2X12 beams with 2X12 joist the deck platform for the hot tub is 12X10.
apowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #12

Weekend Project or Not?

What kind of material do you use for temp supports?

Is that safe to walk on while the temp supports are in place? We would need it to access our back door.

I thought I would call the inspector in advance and have him schedule us in so that we could have him check the depth and be done with it.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #13

Weekend Project or Not?

Have him check it during the week before you start. you don't need to be preasent. At least you don't in Michigan. I have never used temp suports I guess I just never tried
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #14

Weekend Project or Not?

Those of you who suggest using temp supports.... do you have the holes dug and then build? Or do you dig the holes for the posts later as well? I'm am just trying to picture using an auger to dig the holes while there is already a deck above the area.

Do you use 4x4 posts just sitting on the ground for the temporary supports?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:26 PM   #15

Weekend Project or Not?

Sometimes I dig the holes first and sometimes not.That really depends on the access and complexity of the deck. As far as temp supports I usually use 2 by 8 or whatever is handy. I put one under the rim joist and another longer one sistered to it so I can attach it to the joist (I start with the longer one so I can get the joist level then just drive a screw in it, then in goes the shorter board).

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote