DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Carpentry (
-   -   Ways to support adjustable shelves (

99miles 09-01-2009 10:21 AM

Ways to support adjustable shelves
I'm planning to build built-in cabinets in my office.Ideally I want an adjustable shelf or two. I'm trying to find a relatively hidden way of having adjustable shelves as opposed to having those big metal rails. I found this photo which is almost identical to what I want . I can see holes up the left side where the shelves can be moved to. Are there some brackets that are pushed into those holes, then have a flat area to hold the shelf? I'm thinking that must be what it uses, but I can't find them by searching but maybe I just don't have the right terms. i simply searched things like 'adjustable shelf bracket', etc. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Green Giant 09-01-2009 11:00 AM

Yes, there is usually a peg that goes in the hole and the shelf rests on it. If you go to Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, IKEA, this is how their adjustable shelves work also. The key will be to ensure your holes are lined up evenly or you will have crooked/wobbly shelves.

99miles 09-01-2009 11:07 AM

I went to Lowes and couldn't find them, so I'm wondering what they would be called, or if someone has a link to some. Thanks

Green Giant 09-01-2009 11:16 AM

the technical name for them is shelf pin. Below is link of those available from Lowes.

99miles 09-01-2009 11:25 AM

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

vsheetz 09-01-2009 05:14 PM

I bought shelf pins at Home Depot - they were in the isle with screws, nuts and bolts.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.