DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Carpentry (
-   -   Water damaged underlay (

kimchee 05-16-2011 08:04 AM

Water damaged underlay
I have water damaged underlay that runs under an exterior wall. the damaged area is about 2 feet wide. I want to cut this piece out, but am unsure what to use to cut the nails that are through the base plate and how best to support the wall when I do. Any do's and don'ts that come with replacing underlay under an exterior wall would be helpful. Thank you to one and all.

Daniel Holzman 05-16-2011 08:20 AM

By underlayment I assume you mean either plywood, OSB or chipboard. If it is only two feet, and you have a conventionally built stud wall, you are unlikely to need any temporary support for the 3/4 inch piece you are taking out. As for the nails, you can cut right through them with a carbide toothed blade specifically designed for rough lumber, or you can use a Sawzall (my tool of choice for this project) with a nail cutting blade like the Axe. Once you have all the wet underlayment cut out, you should be able to insert a replacement piece. I would use exterior rated plywood for this application.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1