Water Damage In Wood Sheathing - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Water damage in wood sheathing

Wood wall 2x6 with sheathing, tyvek, etc. Bad flashing job (downward flashing goes under the bottom piece, so water runs behind the flashing and into the house) on the windows, which I caulked as a quick fix (should redo it).

I found it while trying to re-do insulation, trying to use foam-it green spray foam and Roxul stone wool. Here's what I found:

It was wet when I found it; it dried out like this. Nasty looking.

Is this fine? Can I just spray-foam it? Someone told me to paint epoxy into it "to harden the wood" .... Do I need to replace the wood?

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 686

Can you post a picture of the outside so we can see why it's leaking?

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Can you post a picture of the outside so we can see why it's leaking?
I'm more concerned with the structural integrity of the wood; the leaks have been fixed.

This is allowing water to get behind the siding and into the wall. I caulked it as a temporary fix. I think the lip at the bottom isn't intended to be caulked up, but it's built such that it extends out and slopes down into the house--so it's diverting water behind the siding as well. The whole area behind this is water-damaged wood, so it's obviously some sort of installation issue with the window--it could even be as bad as just a terrible tyvek job.

One day I'll de-side the house and see about redoing it. Considering two 1 inch XPS or ISO panels outside, giving R10, and allowing me to shift them off-center (versus single 2 inch R10 panels). That of course means I need to re-do the windows, but it's an excuse to take the siding off and investigate.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

After pulling the siding, check plywood for delaminating or buckling; http://www.buildabetterhome.org/level_d.cfm?story=2796

Need a probe type moisture meter to check the framing bottom plate and below..... is there access - basement/crawl or slab?

This may make you want to check the window flashing sooner than later; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-wall-systems

Gary
Old 12-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 686

Please back up so we can see the whole window.
What I'm see is no one built out that window trim before wrapping it.
No J moulding used on the sides.
If there missed those siding 101 steps I'd bet they also did not use any window tape.
That utility trim on the bottom would have been under the window trim not sticking out like that if it was done right.
You never count on just caulking to seal out water if a siding job is done right.
Siding has to have room to expand and contract!
GBrackins (12-10-2013)