Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

Want to start buying cabinets. . .

Are there any reputable places to buy cabinets online ? ? ?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
DIY staff

What level of quality?

Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

And scan some of the recent cabinet posts on this site. Some are finding that custom built cabinets are not that much more expensive than ones you have to make work. You might want to get some estimates.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Doing it myself

I'm hoping to find something well built but not fancy. We don't like or need fancy. I don't want a P.O.S. from home depot though. Been down that road.

I had originally thought about building my own, but I'm not sure i'm quite ready for that kind of project at this time.

P.S. I hear that the going rate for custom built cabinets around here is ~ 65 a linear foot.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
DIY staff

See if anybody carries Haas cabinets out of Indiana---

And $65 per lineal foot sounds rather low.
woodworkbykirk (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
See if anybody carries Haas cabinets out of Indiana---

And $65 per lineal foot sounds rather low.
Looks like nobody in my area carries them, but i'll keep searching.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Alan, if you purchase cabinets made with nothing but sawdust, yes they will not last. You can order custom cabinets from home depot, and depending on your budget, is going to determine what it will cost. If you want solid wood fronts with solid wood drawer fronts and doors, you can get them from the big box, or online.

It really will come down to how much you have available in your budget to spend on cabinets, in what you really can buy.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm hoping to find something well built but not fancy. We don't like or need fancy. I don't want a P.O.S. from home depot though. Been down that road.
You can buy all grades of cabinets from any bigbox store. The one you pick is your choice.
As Greg said, you want to stay away from the low end cabinet lines all companies produce.
Most companies carry 3 lines of cabinets. Flakeboard/melamine, 1/2" ply and 3/4" ply carcasses. The 1/2" line is fine for most homes. I've had that 1/2" line in kitchens I did 20 years ago and they still hold up.
Are you looking for RTA cabinets or already built?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

in my opinion.. melamine cabinets arent "custom".. its just "getting cabinets built to fit the space"... a true custom cabinet to me is when the box is built with finish grade plywood and hardwood doors.. around here none of the bigbox stores have plywood cabinets available. its just melamine with a a hardwood veneer or straight up melamine. for that matter most of the cabinet shops do the same thing but they actually build custom size boxes for the situation..

but for true custom cabinets theres only a handful of builders who use actual plwood. they also make their own doors instead of ordering them to fit the box. these guys also mill their own trim to match the wood for the kitchen or whatever. they also will make wooden countertops and concrete countertops. most of these guys are highly skilled woodworkers and finish carpenters
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
logluvr (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You can buy all grades of cabinets from any bigbox store. The one you pick is your choice.
As Greg said, you want to stay away from the low end cabinet lines all companies produce.
Most companies carry 3 lines of cabinets. Flakeboard/melamine, 1/2" ply and 3/4" ply carcasses. The 1/2" line is fine for most homes. I've had that 1/2" line in kitchens I did 20 years ago and they still hold up.
Are you looking for RTA cabinets or already built?
I'm not opposed to putting them together myself, I just think that my mind equates RTA to wal-mart furniture. Cheesy cam locks and holes that don't quite line up.

I definitely don't want to go cheap on them. The REAL issue I have is that I only want to do sections of the kitchen at a time. I don't have the time or energy to get everything done in 1 weekend, so I have to gradually transition from one side of the room to the other. I want to be able to do the project in APPROXIMATELY 1/3 of the base cabinets at a time. All the appliances are moving as well, so it is going to be a big chore.

I'd probably save a lot of money building my own, I think I have the capability, but the problem is getting the wood at a reasonable price. I'm not buying hardwood for face material at HD. The plywood they have is 60 bucks a sheet, and by the time I had doors and drawers and hardware i'd probably be at about 800 for a 36" sink base.

I'm just feeling that i'll have a hard time getting a cabinet shop to build me 3-5 cabinets at a time, and then being able to fulfill my order in the timeframe that I want when i'm ready, and I can't really afford to buy all the cabinets at once, nor do I have the space for them all at once. This is why i'm thinking about shopping online for them.

Last edited by Alan; 10-17-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

RTA is not Wal-mart furniture. Ready To Assemble can be from Ikea, or from a place like Cabinets to Go. We got our bathroom vanity, which is solid wood, (plywood with Cherry veneer), from a online RTA store. It was not cheap, but not expensive. It is your choice Alan, keep thinking with the stigma that you can not find what you want from places like Home Depot or Lowe's. It is your money, and you are free to do with it as you want.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
RTA is not Wal-mart furniture. Ready To Assemble can be from Ikea, or from a place like Cabinets to Go. We got our bathroom vanity, which is solid wood, (plywood with Cherry veneer), from a online RTA store. It was not cheap, but not expensive. It is your choice Alan, keep thinking with the stigma that you can not find what you want from places like Home Depot or Lowe's. It is your money, and you are free to do with it as you want.
I've gone through and looked at their displays. They are nice looking, but when I started touching them, that was about as far as it went. I didn't realize that HD had an option for solid wood custom cabinets. When we ordered our bathroom linen cabinet and vanity cabinet (almost 1000 bucks) what we ended up with was a really expensive piece of firewood that took more than 2 months and multiple phone calls arguing and fighting with them in order to even get a complete and functioning unit.

Aside from the price which seemed high for what ended up to be nothing but particleboard (tell me if you think it's not that high) the amount of hassle we had to go through has completely turned us off from HD.

Had everything gone smoothly, I think that would be the easy route to take, and I wouldn't be here now.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Majority of the cabinets are going to be sawdust backs and frames, but the fronts will be wood. It is your choice in what you want as I already stated. As for the cabinets falling apart, really can not tell you, other than it sounds like your household should just use cardboard boxes if they tear stuff up that quickly.

Here are some examples of solid wood ply construction:

Cabinets to go: http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
RTA store: http://www.thertastore.com/

Other places selling solid wood cabinets: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&cop=&ei=UTF-8

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-17-2011 at 10:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Alan (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm not opposed to putting them together myself, I just think that my mind equates RTA to wal-mart furniture. Cheesy cam locks and holes that don't quite line up.

I definitely don't want to go cheap on them. The REAL issue I have is that I only want to do sections of the kitchen at a time. I don't have the time or energy to get everything done in 1 weekend, so I have to gradually transition from one side of the room to the other. I want to be able to do the project in APPROXIMATELY 1/3 of the base cabinets at a time. All the appliances are moving as well, so it is going to be a big chore.

I'd probably save a lot of money building my own, I think I have the capability, but the problem is getting the wood at a reasonable price. I'm not buying hardwood for face material at HD. The plywood they have is 60 bucks a sheet, and by the time I had doors and drawers and hardware i'd probably be at about 800 for a 36" sink base.

I'm just feeling that i'll have a hard time getting a cabinet shop to build me 3-5 cabinets at a time, and then being able to fulfill my order in the timeframe that I want when i'm ready, and I can't really afford to buy all the cabinets at once, nor do I have the space for them all at once. This is why i'm thinking about shopping online for them.
You should understand a few things before you do this kitchen.
Plywood is not used on face frames. You you solid wood for that. You use plywood for the sides, back and bottom of the carcasses.
Cabinet manufacturers discontinue styles, so you want to buy all the cabinets at once.
Another reason to buy them all at once is so all the stains or paints match. If you buy them a few at a time the shading will vary.
I suggest you save up all the money for the kitchen and buy the cabinets all at once.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You should understand a few things before you do this kitchen.
Plywood is not used on face frames. You you solid wood for that. You use plywood for the sides, back and bottom of the carcasses.
Cabinet manufacturers discontinue styles, so you want to buy all the cabinets at once.
Another reason to buy them all at once is so all the stains or paints match. If you buy them a few at a time the shading will vary.
I suggest you save up all the money for the kitchen and buy the cabinets all at once.
I did realize that the box is made of plywood and not the face, and i had thought about the stain thing, but I was thinking that one of these big online places wouldn't have that kind of problem. Maybe I'll check with them before I buy and get their input on these items. Thanks