Want To Make A Simple Audio Component Rack, Need Advice - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


I would like to make a very simple and clean audio component rack to house a 300 disc changer and a receiver. I would also like to house the two speakers directly under the components side by side and cover that area with one large custom made speaker grille. So basically the bottom shelf will just above the speakers and the components will go on that shelf and one above it. I don't have a lot of experience with furniture work. I'm guessing that nailing, filling nail holes and staining is not going to look very good. I don't really know how to make any furniture joints, like biscuit and such. I was also thinking about maybe going the cam and shaft route, like those ready-to-build furniture units you buy. Any suggestions?

Like this: BTW, obviously not to scale to that person - I forgot to remove the person in sketchup.





Advertisement


Last edited by J187; 01-04-2009 at 05:30 PM.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Do not place speakers in the cabinet or on attached shelves. they will vibrate and distort your sound. If you insist on doing so place on foam rubber padding... may help some.
Building the cabinet is easy. But if you are not comfortable with this you can buy door and drawers and drawer fronts from http:///www.rockler.com and the cabinet box from http:///www.cabinetparts.com
rockler will also have all the accessories you need.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
timthetoolman
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 58
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


In stereo sound (2 speakers) each one projects slightly different sounds, like slashes guitar may only be playing the the right speaker. For this reason, don't place the speakers so close together or it will eliminate the stereo sound in a way.
timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Do not place speakers in the cabinet or on attached shelves. they will vibrate and distort your sound. If you insist on doing so place on foam rubber padding... may help some.
Building the cabinet is easy. But if you are not comfortable with this you can buy door and drawers and drawer fronts from http:///www.rockler.com and the cabinet box from http:///www.cabinetparts.com
rockler will also have all the accessories you need.
Thanks. I fully intend to anchor the speakers with brackets or eliminating the bottom shelf and having the legs go over the speakers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
In stereo sound (2 speakers) each one projects slightly different sounds, like slashes guitar may only be playing the the right speaker. For this reason, don't place the speakers so close together or it will eliminate the stereo sound in a way.

Thanks. I installed audio for a few years. The stero phasing will definitley not be great with speakers so close together, however, for a home stereo system, phasing is almost never great. The only way it works is it you align the speakers to one certain place and you stay there while you listen. If you are using the system for ambient sound, the speakers will always be out of stereo as you walk/work around the house. So it's not really that big of a deal. I'm more worried about the construction aspect than I am the audio. Thanks for the suggestions though.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


anchoring the speakers in any way will make the situation even worse.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
Member
 
bradnailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 256
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


If you want inexpensive, then go with cinder blocks and 2 * 12's.

You can use the pre-made items that are MDF and contact paper and it will look like MDF and contact paper.

If you want something decent looking, then swing by a local cabinet shop of find a local hobbyist woodworker. They could whup up a piece like that in no time. It's pretty much a sheet of 3/4 plywood and some 1x to make a face frame. You could also save a little money if you finished it yourself.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
anchoring the speakers in any way will make the situation even worse.

How do you figure?
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
If you want inexpensive, then go with cinder blocks and 2 * 12's.

You can use the pre-made items that are MDF and contact paper and it will look like MDF and contact paper.

If you want something decent looking, then swing by a local cabinet shop of find a local hobbyist woodworker. They could whup up a piece like that in no time. It's pretty much a sheet of 3/4 plywood and some 1x to make a face frame. You could also save a little money if you finished it yourself.
Thanks. I would rather take on the whole project myself to be honest with you.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
Remodeling Contractor
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 3,590
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Any solid connection will transfer the sound vibrations into the cabinet. Keep the speakers at least 5 feet apart. Use 3/4" birch (Cabinet Grade) to make the cabinet. If you do not have a joiner than use trim screws. These are like drywall screws with small heads.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Any solid connection will transfer the sound vibrations into the cabinet. Keep the speakers at least 5 feet apart. Use 3/4" birch (Cabinet Grade) to make the cabinet. If you do not have a joiner than use trim screws. These are like drywall screws with small heads.
Thanks, I'm not really all that worried about transferring vibration. If they were subwoofers, I would be. But these are not really aggressive speakers. Also, I intend for the audio rack to be pretty solid and I'm not really going for audiophile kind of sound. The only problem with screws would be hiding them, no?
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 83
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


It would be easier to help you if you talked a bit about what tools and skills you possess.
Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Member
 
bradnailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 256
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Thanks. I would rather take on the whole project myself to be honest with you.
It's certainly a project you can do yourself but you mentioned you had no experience with joinery and woodworking and I made the assumption you didn't have any woodworking tools.

If you want to build it yourself, then google woodworking plans for entertainment centers and you might find a set of free or inexpensive plans you can follow.

Good luck on the project.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
They're all fixer-uppers
 
J187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 991
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
It's certainly a project you can do yourself but you mentioned you had no experience with joinery and woodworking and I made the assumption you didn't have any woodworking tools.

If you want to build it yourself, then google woodworking plans for entertainment centers and you might find a set of free or inexpensive plans you can follow.

Good luck on the project.
Thanks, I have no experience specifically with furniture joints but I'm sure I can learn in a hurry and maybe borrow some necessary tools - or figure a way to pull it off with what I have. I have never made an audio rack per se, but I remodelled my entire basement myself which included a lot of trim work and a ledge that spanned the length of two walls. Also two built in shelf units, including an av shelf. Difference being, these were painted and not stained, so I didn't have to worry about hiding nail holes or what not.

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


Dado the shelves (or at least top and bottom, if shelving is to be adjustable), peg or biscuit the face frame. Use a finish nailer and the holes that will need to be filled will be really small. The key is to fill the hole, not slather the wood with the filler all around the holes.

You can also biscuit or peg the face frame to the shelves and avoid nails completely.

No clue about speaker placement, but makes sense to space them out a bit as other posters have pointed out.

A good sheet of plywood will run $45-80 depending on what species of wood you want as the outer lamination. You can make it out of solid wood as well, but may have trouble locating decent wood that is as cost effective and straight as a good sheet of ply.
justin2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 83
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Want to make a simple audio component rack, need advice


You can make your audio rack just like you did the one you showed a picture of.

Just go to a BORG and buy a pocket hole kit, buy some straight nice wood (go to a real woodworking or hardwood supply store if you can, and have them provide a S4S (surfaced on all 4 sides) board), and build the carcass (box) however you want, then put the face frame on the front. Use the pocket hole kit to screw the face frame edges together as well as to connect it to the carcass.

If you can, dado's are also what I would have thought of for this project but if you want it real pretty, you'd want to dado it THEN put a face frame on it to hide those joints.

Advertisement

Garasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Female needing simple electrical advice clcatone@hotmail.com Electrical 3 03-26-2006 06:02 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts