Wall Panelling - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wall Panelling

Hi,

I'm looking to semi panel my bathroom. The overall look I'm going for is Regency waist high (well if you're 5,4")painted waterproof wood panelling.

I live in an old English Cottage with a bathroom wall prone to damp, so don't know how I achieve this with wood on a budget.

I'm aware you can buy Regency/Georgian sheets of panelling in both wood and wood effect, alas the quality ones come at a price and the other looks cheap, which is exactly what i'm trying to avoid.

I'm told it's possible to get the look doing it myself but thats where the plan faulters; I havent got a clue how too??

Advertisement

jilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wall Panelling

Definately no such thing as waterproof paneling. There's nothing wrong with using paneling in a bathroom, but its use should be limited to the walls of the room that do not get wet...Never around tubs or showers.

The best way to get a durable installation and the best appearance is to install individual pieces of beaded wainscot. You'd prime both faces and edges prior to installation. Once installed, the wainscot is capped with a moulded profile piece similar to a chair rail.

You can buy paneling and install it, but in my opinion it will look like paneling and will do very little for the value of your home.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 AM   #3

Wall Panelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Definately no such thing as waterproof paneling. There's nothing wrong with using paneling in a bathroom, but its use should be limited to the walls of the room that do not get wet...Never around tubs or showers.

The best way to get a durable installation and the best appearance is to install individual pieces of beaded wainscot. You'd prime both faces and edges prior to installation. Once installed, the wainscot is capped with a moulded profile piece similar to a chair rail.

You can buy paneling and install it, but in my opinion it will look like paneling and will do very little for the value of your home.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, i'm sure you're right about the overall look, what would you suggest to get the look i want?

Last edited by jilly; 10-27-2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #4

Question

Wall Panelling

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. i was not planning on installation around a bath/shower, my problem is i have a porous exterior stone wall which i want to clad.

I'm quite sure you're right about the difficulties in getting the overall look right, forgive me, but was you saying the former would be a convincing solution?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wall Panelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Definately no such thing as waterproof paneling.
huh? no waterproof panels? when did they stop making them?

http://www.fauxpanels.com/benefits.php
http://www.tubz.co.uk/shower-wall-panel.htm
http://www.bathroommarquee.co.uk/gros.php
http://www.dumaplast.be/details.asp?...oductid=228538

am i mistaken here?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote