Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Share |

Wall Hung Bath Vanity---Support?

I am building a 129" bathroom vanity which I want to support exclusively by the back and side walls(nothing touching the floor).

The vanity will be 21" deep and 10" tall. Basically it is just going to be a set of draws going across, no doors.

I will be putting a corian counter top on it along with 2 pedestal sinks. The faucets will be coming out of the wall.

How should this unit be constructed/supported/installed so that it will be sound? Do I need brackets, etc.?

Thanks
newmex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #2

Wall Hung Bath Vanity---Support?

Hey Newmex999,
I am Gregg with The Home Depot in Chicago. With that amount of weight hanging from the wall you are going to want it distributed as equally as possible. One way is to install a 2x3 against the wall for the vanity to rest on and put 2 screws in every stud along the 129 span. I would also put toggle bolts in between each stud for extra support. You could even add an angled support from the bottom of the vanity to the 2x3.

Another way is to use angled iron to connect to the wall. Install a 2x3 along the wall the entire 129 span at the top of the vanity and a 2x8 along the bottom of the vanity. Make sure the 2x8 goes 2 past the bottom of the vanity so you can add an addition 2x3 on top of it. Add angle iron to the top of the vanity and the bottom of the top 2x3 so the two pieces will hook into each other. Rest the vanity on the bottom 2x3 that is over the 2x8 and add additional screws. This way would push it out from the wall 1 , but since you are custom building the vanity you can account for the difference and cover the sides.

let me know if this helps.
(The pictures are viewed from the side.)
Attached Thumbnails
Wall Hung Bath Vanity---Support?-vanity-1.jpg   Wall Hung Bath Vanity---Support?-vanity-2.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by gotogregg; 11-03-2010 at 01:39 PM.
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote