Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Wainscoting ideas

I've want to do a simple design. It will basically consist of a chair rail, base board, and picture frame squares in the center. I have looked at some faux or virtual wainscotting where the backing is the drywall. My drywall has texture on it, so I think it will look odd.

What are my options for doing wainscoting? I do not want beadboard. I was thinking about using 1/4 plywood between the chair rail and baseboard to give a smooth finish. I would then have something to nail through for the picture frame squares. Is this my best option?

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Wainscoting ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
I've want to do a simple design. It will basically consist of a chair rail, base board, and picture frame squares in the center. I have looked at some faux or virtual wainscotting where the backing is the drywall. My drywall has texture on it, so I think it will look odd.

What are my options for doing wainscoting? I do not want beadboard. I was thinking about using 1/4 plywood between the chair rail and baseboard to give a smooth finish. I would then have something to nail through for the picture frame squares. Is this my best option?

If you are going to paint it, you could use plywood. I would use MDF if it were me, because I think it is cheaper and will be a smoother finish.

If you are trying to stain it, plywood is going to look cheap unless you get a veneer over it. They sell a hardwood veneer product placed over plywood which is also smooth, it is not cheap though.

If I am imaging correctly what you are trying to do, you could use sheetrock too. This would provide the most paintable surface and would be smooth. I hope I am not off base in what I think you are trying to do.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 09-12-2011 at 02:00 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 256

Wainscoting ideas

I'm trying to do something similar to what is in the picture. I have seen some people do it with their drywall with texture. It doesn't look that good in my opinion. How do they do real wainscoting? Isn't there some type of wood backing between the baseboard and chair rail? I will be painting it white.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #4

Wainscoting ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post

I'm trying to do something similar to what is in the picture. I have seen some people do it with their drywall with texture. It doesn't look that good in my opinion. How do they do real wainscoting? Isn't there some type of wood backing between the baseboard and chair rail? I will be painting it white.
Yes, it all it depends on how thick you want to go. You can do with smooth paneling. You can do it with plywood like you suggested, but you need a finish grade plywood or you will be filling knot holes. You can do it with any MDF.

You are really just trying to give the bottom area some depth. I have done it usually with tongue and groove bead board as the fill panel, for an old-world look.

Since you don't want that, it is the same basic principle. You mentioned your plaster has a texture, my thought was to buy sheet rock with no texture, and use that as the smooth substrate, it will give it depth, from 3 feet, painted, no one will be able to tell the difference.

The only way you would even know you were using real wood would be a grain showing under the paint, and that is kinda hard to make work without making it look cheap.

If you really, really want it to look awesome, use pine panels that are thick enough so that you can use a router to put what you called "picture frame" areas in it. This will be an inset design, basically the reverse of what you will do with molding, the difference will give it a very custom look!!!

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 09-12-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #5

Wainscoting ideas

If you add anything below the chair rail, the chair rail itself will have to have a grove (rabbit) cut into the bottom half of it to hide the bump out of whatever you are adding to the bottom of the wall. Not all chair rail is that thick to do that. Is your wall so highly textured that you can not sand it down to a smooth finish??

Can you post a pic of your walls as they are now?? May have some better ideas on how to smooth them out. Otherwise you may be looking at special order or custom made chairrail (WHY DOES THAT LOOK SO STRAINGE TO ME) (sorry, Norton will not allow spell check, I can read a tape measure, but just cant spell) to hide the overlay you might add. Remember if you add a overlayment, you will need to replace the baseboards and also your receipticales will need to be changed also, let alone the door trims, and then . how to make that transition straight. Got to be a better answer.

As I said, please post a pic and let us know how TEXTURED the texture is, that will help with answering your question.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #6

Wainscoting ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm View Post
If you add anything below the chair rail, the chair rail itself will have to have a grove (rabbit) cut into the bottom half of it to hide the bump out of whatever you are adding to the bottom of the wall. Not all chair rail is that thick to do that. Is your wall so highly textured that you can not sand it down to a smooth finish??

Can you post a pic of your walls as they are now?? May have some better ideas on how to smooth them out. Otherwise you may be looking at special order or custom made chairrail (WHY DOES THAT LOOK SO STRAINGE TO ME) (sorry, Norton will not allow spell check, I can read a tape measure, but just cant spell) to hide the overlay you might add. Remember if you add a overlayment, you will need to replace the baseboards and also your receipticales will need to be changed also, let alone the door trims, and then . how to make that transition straight. Got to be a better answer.

As I said, please post a pic and let us know how TEXTURED the texture is, that will help with answering your question.
A lot of chair rail is pre-made to accept bead board, so if he stays thin on his substrate it will work. You are right though, I have had to custom make the top cap in order to make the panels thicker.

Chair rail is two words! Making it one word is strange!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #7

Wainscoting ideas

Your forgot to address the casing around the doorways!!!!!!!! Thanks Chair Rail!! Cool

Old 09-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

Wainscoting ideas

Quote:
Your forgot to address the casing around the doorways!!!!!!!! Thanks Chair Rail!! Cool
Oh, and I see that you are fairly new to the forum, He may be a She, so do not use genders, lol, I have gotten is soooo much trouble and handed out some also, it is THEY or Theirs, not his, hers, he she, till you KNOW.

I am not sure if the OP (original poster) had given thought as to how the rest of the trim in the room had to change besides the electric issues.. Those are issues that are not always formost in a Dream for a specific look. That is why I asked for pic of the existing walls.

Last edited by m1951mm; 09-12-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #9

Wainscoting ideas

Quote:
Oh, and I see that you are fairly new to the forum, He may be a She, so do not use genders, lol, I have gotten is soooo much trouble and handed out some also, it is THEY or Theirs, not his, hers, he she, till you KNOW.

I am not sure if the OP (original poster) had given thought as to how the rest of the trim in the room had to change besides the electric issues.. Those are issues that are not always formost in a Dream for a specific look. That is why I asked for pic of the existing walls.

I certainly meant no offense using the word "he", it could actually be a transgender individual looking for help and then I would have to be really, really careful.

The Following User Says Thank You to oldhouseguy For This Useful Post:
m1951mm (09-12-2011)