DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

"Wagging in" 2x8 beams for my deck?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  deckman 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new to the chatroom. I had a question about whether or not I can wag in the supports for my deck. I have 4x4 posts that I have in the ground and would like to bolt the 2x8s into them rather than putting them on top of the posts. I am planning to place the 2x8s on oposite sides of the posts and use blocking between them to take up the space created between the 2x8s. Should I have any code issues to be concerned about?
deckman

#2 ·
Deckman; in short NO. If you want the 4x's to support ur 2 x 8's then you should "let" those into the 4 x 4" . Bolts alone will corrode and fail. :no:
You never gave dimensions as to how large this deck was to be. Are they on footings?, meet codes, etc. More info will be a great help to fully answer this question
JackM

#3 ·
Wagging in 2x8s to 4x4s

My deck will be sized 10 foot by 16 foot and I will not be attaching it to the house. Considering what kind of a junk deck I took out, this will be like the Taj Mahal. I was planning to put lag bolts through the 2x8s and into the 4x4s. It just looks like a much easier route to go than going on top of the posts. I would think it would be more stable as well. Thanks for any comments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.