Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Share |

Vinyl siding j channel HELP!!!

I'm hoping someone can give me advise asap. I hired a contractor to install certainteed vinyl siding on my house. I showed him a house nearby and said basically that this is what i want my house to look like. Well..they started the siding, i went to work, and when i got home I was very very pissed at what I saw. The house looks like a billboard for j channel. Its everywhere. Around all the doors and windows, around the base of the house. It looks awful. I called immediately and complained. I said my neighbors house has no j channel and thats what i said I wanted my house to look like. I was told that the other house has newer windows and that they used lineals and lineals cant be used on my windows. Is it true that lineals cant be used on older windows? I'm guessing my windows are around 10yrs old. They are anderson double hung. Also if I cant use lineals, is there any other way to avoid the ugly look of j channels? Please help me on this as I have to deal with the contractor first thing in the morning.

Thanks!!!

jmk9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #2

lineals can absolutely be used on ANY type of window or door [except curved units] using the correct starter...your installer is ''mistaken'

wasn't this written up in your contract?

show the knuckle head this post

http://www.certainteed.com/resources/cts154.pdf

Last edited by Tom Struble; 05-15-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
loneframer (05-15-2011), Thurman (05-16-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
KemoSabe

These are Andersen windows and they are Certainteed lineals.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl siding j channel HELP!!!-003-copy-6-.jpg  

Last edited by loneframer; 05-15-2011 at 08:30 PM.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loneframer For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-15-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

nice workmanship there Loneframerman
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
loneframer (05-16-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #5

I dont have a contract per say. There were several back and forth emails outlining the job in which i stated i wanted lineals. He said that i cant use lineals on my windows because they are wood anderson double hung with brick mould. I then had him look at my neighbors windows and he said he could trim mine like theirs are which looks like aluminum coil framing out the window in about a 31/2 " frame but no j channel showing. Now the job is 1/2 done and it is the worst thing ive ever seen. The back of the house has j channel everywhere. The windows look nothing like my neighbors and his excuse now is that my neighbors windows have a built in j channel. There was no mention of this before the job was started. My windows have aluminum surrounded by j channel. It looks like a job done in 1985. I'm so pissed off. The only thing i have going for me is that i have not paid a dime towards the job yet. I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly because i dont plan on paying until the job is done right.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #6

there are no 10 year old Andersen windows that i know of with a wood brickmould,but regardless lineals can still be used

no contract is not smartyour opinion on what is right may not stand up

Last edited by Tom Struble; 05-15-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:32 AM   #7

I guess I should have had a contract although the emails outlined the whole job. I just figured this guy would do the right thing. Either way I haven't paid for the job yet. I was also wondering if theres different grades of the aluminum coil used to wrap the windows. What was used on my houses looks like a dingy white. Are there better grades where the color is brighter?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Mod

It’s not to late for a contract. Don’t let the job continue until you both agree on what’s to be done and for how much money and get it in writing. Take the day off work if you must to get this resolved. Stay calm be professional yet civil.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-16-2011 at 07:18 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #9

I just got off the phone with the contractor. I also called certainteed to make sure lineals could be used on all applications..they said yes they can. So i called the contractor and asked why I was told that I couldnt use them. He said that its not proper to use them on my type of windows and that certainteed is just trying to push their products. I then told him that I spoke to two other contractors that said I could use them and his story changed to " my foreman who has been doing siding jobs for years told me that you cant use them". I'm now waiting for him to call me back as the steam is coming from my ears
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #10

Just got off the phone with the contractor. He is now saying that in order to use lineals on my windows they would need to cut off the brick mold. This would ruin the integrity of my windows. That is why lineals can't be used on my house. Does this make any sense? I'm lost on this
Old 05-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #11

Kwik...the hardest part is remaining calm..but thanks for your advise. When i start to feel like i'm being taken advantage of I lose my temper fairly quick. Thanks for bringing that up as it is a valid point
Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
Mod

I don’t know that your being taken advantage of. I’m sure you contractor would just assume be working on your house today than ordering more materials. It’s pretty obvious you two didn’t have a “meeting of the minds” which is a contract, verbal or otherwise. This is why we write there things down and sign them.

Brick mold is window trim, lineals are window trim, to have lineals around brick mold would be double trim and look retarded IMO, it‘s one or the other.

You do know the lineals cost quite a bit more than the J which is something I’m sure the two of you need to work out.

Just be sure he comes back with a contract and "all" of your concerns are addressed before you go any further or this could turn into a way bigger mess.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #13

I think that by saying i couldnt use the lineals the contractor was trying to lower his costs. The j channel looks absolutely horrible and cheap. Had I known this is what he was going to do I would have never agreed to it. His solution now is to re trim the windows with aluminum so that the j channel can't be seen.What is the correct way to do this? Does this sound like a good solution or is he just trying to get away with an easy fix? Will the vinyl siding have to be removed from around the windows in order for him to do what he's saying? I know I'm asking a lot of questions. I really appreciate the help
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #14

cut off brickmould?on a 10 year old Andersen?...no wayremove yes,maybe, cut no...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
KemoSabe

I've installed well into the thousands of Andersen windows over the last 25 years and have never seen one with a brickmold either factory installed or field installed. I'd love to see a picture of what it is you have going on over there.