Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

vinyl siding

the very bottom piece of siding on one side of my house is loose how do i fix it.

homeownerdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

vinyl siding

Sounds like the installer failed to install a "starter strip" on the first row or didn't get it snapped in correctly. A starter strip is usually a metal piece that the first (bottom) row of siding snaps on to. Some people don't' like the metal pieces and will cut off the top of a piece of siding and use that as a starter strip. if there isn't anything to snap the loose piece onto, you can either add a starter strip to lock it onto (would be difficult to get it lined up, but not impossible), or you could try to find a matching color of J-channel to install (easier to line up, but would be hard to flex the vinyl into place unless you have a nice-warm day).

You could also put a fastener or two through the siding, but the fastener would show out, and you have to be careful to allow for expansion/contraction by slotting the siding where the fastener goes through. (a 12 foot piece of siding can expand/contract up to an inch between hot/cold summer/winter here in Pennsylvania)

teststrips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teststrips For This Useful Post:
DrHicks (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

vinyl siding

usually with vinyl i will run my hand along the loose peice to see where it locks back in.. this is done as an evaluation of how loose it is. if the starter strip is intact you usually tap on the peice of vinyl with your bare hand and will sometimes lock back in..
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,192

vinyl siding

Quite a few times I’ve seen this where the siding was never locked in properly to begin with and they sided the wall without knowing. In that case you may never get it to lock properly unless you lower the starter some.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

vinyl siding

What people don't realize is that many times the siding was installed correctly, but over time the floor joists shrink. I've seen cases of 2x10's shrinking over 1/2". This happens at the second floor line many times as well.

One quick fix that I've used is hemming a piece of coil stock about 5/8" wide. This gets tucked into the starter, or lock on the lower piece, then the upper panel can be locked onto the hemmed coil stock, which protrudes down low enough to lock the siding securely.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,054

vinyl siding

ahhh nice trick riz

ive used coil stock to extend the fastening base for starter strip when the first board on a house isnt level.. sometimes we start the siding lower down... using hte coil stock makes for a thin base to screw the starter to using tech screws

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
loneframer (11-22-2011)