Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

victorian interior doors


I live in a victorian. The door hinges are mounted directly to the lath of the walls and the molding around the door.

The entire opening is 3 3/4" thick.

Over the 126 years (7 owners, one rented to 6 different tenants in 8 years) since this house was constructed, the molding and lath have rotted chipped and cracked away. so now the door no longer sits right in the "frame." It rubs the carpet, and hits the molding above the top hinge.

How can I fix this? Can I put a new door frame in? what do you reccomend?

Gaudior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

victorian interior doors


It would probably be a good idea to reset the header if you need to and rebuild the door frame. This assumes the door is worth saving. I do alright hanging pre-hung doors but pass on building new frames and fitting old doors into them to the masters at doing such things.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

victorian interior doors


The door is nowhere near worth saving. It is a modern era door that the constant rubbing on the carpet has chipped much of the bottom wood off.

It doesn't look good, therefore I am willing to be rid of it. I am considering replacing the carpet in this house, and I want to get rid of the door rubs first.

Attached are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
victorian interior doors-100_1571.jpg   victorian interior doors-100_1572.jpg   victorian interior doors-100_1573.jpg   victorian interior doors-100_1574.jpg  
Gaudior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

victorian interior doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudior View Post
I live in a victorian. The door hinges are mounted directly to the lath of the walls and the molding around the door.

The entire opening is 3 3/4" thick.

Over the 126 years (7 owners, one rented to 6 different tenants in 8 years) since this house was constructed, the molding and lath have rotted chipped and cracked away. so now the door no longer sits right in the "frame." It rubs the carpet, and hits the molding above the top hinge.

How can I fix this? Can I put a new door frame in? what do you reccomend?
From the pictures, I would replace the frame. It's beat to hell.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

victorian interior doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
From the pictures, I would replace the frame. It's beat to hell.
Ron
Are door frames made with a depth of 3 3/4" or less, or do I have to make my own. The narrowest I have been able to find is 4 1/2"
Gaudior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

victorian interior doors


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudior View Post
Are door frames made with a depth of 3 3/4" or less, or do I have to make my own. The narrowest I have been able to find is 4 1/2"
If your jamb width is 3 3/4", you just cut the wider jamb down to the size you need.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

victorian interior doors


thanks much for your help ron.

I really appreciate it.

I need to do more research into the style door I want.

Once I get started I will post any more questions I have.

Gaudior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repainting an 1890 Victorian in Boston (wowee!) mulchie Painting 8 05-27-2009 09:59 AM
victorian bath heating problem Iverson Electrical 9 12-01-2008 04:56 PM
Victorian Home in sleepy Indiana town warrenj Interior Decorating 1 01-08-2008 09:57 AM
Italianate Victorian coupla Design mnp13 Building & Construction 6 01-31-2007 01:07 PM
Heating Retrofit in a Victorian Multi-Family House mumphis HVAC 1 09-30-2006 11:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.