Very Worried About Drilling Through Material (possibly Gas Pipe). Can't Sleep. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10

Very worried about drilling through material (possibly gas pipe). Can't sleep.


I replaced the vanity lighting over my bathroom mirror tonight the screw holes to secure the vanity back plate were a little bit closer in on the new lighting, and I had to put the back plate a little higher (lights drop down). When I drilled the left hole for the expanding wall screw latch (not sure what its called) I ran into a rough patch about 1/2 inch into the drill. I switched out my bit for a stronger bit and it worked fine after a little pressure.

I secured the vanity light, and got everything set up and cleaned up, and I swear after returning the power to the lighting and testing them I smelled the slightest odor in the bathroom. (I also just installed 2 faucets, so it could be the smell of fresh metal).

I'm very concerned that I may have drilled through a natural gas pipe or something similar, and can't sleep because of the danger of carbon monoxide.

Could somebody let me know:

1) Are there gas pipes in close proximity to electrical fixtures in bathrooms?

2) Who can I call this late at night to test for a gas leak?

3) I shut off the lighting for the hall/bathroom, but have no breaker for just the electrical for that area. Do I need to shut off power to my house to avoid an electrical fire sparked by the gas?

I hope somebody is up and can help me out. I'm very concerned.

Thank You!


sooner2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
I have gas!
Clutchcargo's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,975
Rewards Points: 1,374

Are there any gas appliances anywhere on the level above the bathroom?


I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 999
Rewards Points: 500

Carbon monoxide isn't produced by a natural gas leak. If there was a gas leak you'd smell the gas (a sulfer smell is added to natural gas to make it easier to detect).

I suppose it's possible that you've created a leak inside the wall, but don't smell it much because it's mostly behind the wall. But I think that's unlikely. You'd smell it. Put you nose up to the fixtures in that wall, and near any electrical outlets or plumbing openings in that wall. Sniff.

If there's no sulfer odor, I'd go to bed.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 200
Rewards Points: 150

Regarding the gas leak.....did you ever think of calling your local gas company, they will send out personnel to check for a gas leak.

As far as the no sleep....get professional help....
JGarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
mt232's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 117
Rewards Points: 75


If you think you have a gas leak, call the fire dept, they have meters to be sure....and will come right away.

if you have a leak, it can build up.....the spark generated from a simple electrical swicth can cause it to explode....I'm not trying to cause panic, these events aren't likely, but they are possible and have happened.
mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Bathtub Refinisher
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 35
Rewards Points: 25

I would suspect that you drilled into the cast iron vent stack that goes up and out the roof. If there is no gas appliances upstairs probably not a gas pipe. Call gas company for peace of mind. Go out side and see if there is a vent cap on roof about where the bathroom is.

tubguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 11,188
Rewards Points: 5,336

Call the local gas company any time, 24 hours a day if you need to.
I would strongly suggest you refrain from DIY projects. To go to bed with the threat of natural gas or carbon monoxide is absurd. Houses blow up and people die due to this sort of negligence.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Appleton, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,213
Rewards Points: 26

just for future reference, drywall is usually 1/2" thick so if about 1/2" into your drilling you hit something hard STOP.


ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to support 15th of ABS pipe irishtimes101 Plumbing 3 09-01-2006 11:09 AM
What roofing material is right for me? Grumpy Roofing/Siding 0 07-07-2004 07:41 PM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1