DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Vertical drawer hardware?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MT Stringer 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm in the process of remodeling the kitchen and rather than use a 5" filler strip in the upper cabinets, I want to build a vertical spice rack to fit into that space.

I'm searching for a good way to mount the rack, which will be essentially a vertically-oriented drawer roughly 4" wide by 28" tall by 10" deep. (or if that turns out to be too unwieldy, I might put a shelf in halfway up and make two racks about 4"x12"x10".) The rack or racks will have a couple of shelves to store the spices.

I want the rack(s) to pull out just like a standard drawer, with a stop in the back to make sure the rack doesn't accidentally pull all the way out.

Which type of drawer slides would be best?

Other ideas/suggestions/tips/tricks welcome please. Thanks.

#5 ·
My concern, which may be unfounded, with using standard drawer slides is that when mounted on the top and bottom of the "drawer", they will not slide smoothly because the weight of the drawer is being applied down onto the bottom slide, not evenly across both the left and right slides.

But granted a spice rack won't be very heavy, so it may not matter. Thoughts?

#8 ·
I know that in tool boxes,ball bearing slides make a world of difference. I had a lot of heavy tools in an old box without ball bearings,and it got so bad I didn't want to use the tools in that box.
I'm wondering if you can find something with ball bearings.? If that spice rack gets sticky,you"ll wind up eating bland food!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.