Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,243
Share |
Question

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


since i have a deep rooted hatred for anything beveled or routed grooves or any "aesthetic" form that serves no utilitarian purpose, i want to replace my baseboards with something so simple that can't be simpler. so would the cheapest 1xX lumber work, if painted?

thanks

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?
 
nap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sw mi
Posts: 5,407
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


You can use whatever you want to use. If you don't want to use anything fancy, it's your house.

At my dads house there is no baseboard per se. He has hardwood floors and has 1/4 round simply to cover the gap between the floor and the wall.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
uva uvam videndo variafit
 
WirelessG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: W by God VA (bye MS )
Posts: 558
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


1x8 may be a little deep. 1x6 would be more like it, but it depends on the other trim in your house. If you don;t have crown, go w with something minimal like 1x3 or 1x4. If you have 7" crown, go with 1x6.

And work on the hatred part.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,243
Smile

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessG View Post
1x8 may be a little deep. 1x6 would be more like it, but it depends on the other trim in your house. If you don;t have crown, go w with something minimal like 1x3 or 1x4. If you have 7" crown, go with 1x6.

And work on the hatred part.
there will be no crown. the floor is carpet. i want no crown and maybe, maybe the simplest molding if just 1x6 or 8 looks too bare. i think i like slightly higher so i might go 1x8.

thanks. hatred ? i just can't stand anything beyond minimalism in aesthetics, sorry ... extra work, visual pollution.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,968
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


I feel a solid board will cup and twist if you have high humidity. At least cut relief grooves in the back to help is stay straight with the seasonal changes. I used 3/4" plywood for my addition baseboards and added 1/4 round shoe to keep the old style look. Better than the MDF on the market.....

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
fungku (01-29-2011), gma2rjc (01-30-2011), oh'mike (01-28-2011), Tom Struble (01-29-2011), Willie T (01-29-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
uva uvam videndo variafit
 
WirelessG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: W by God VA (bye MS )
Posts: 558
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
I feel a solid board will cup and twist if you have high humidity. At least cut relief grooves in the back to help is stay straight with the seasonal changes. I used 3/4" plywood for my addition baseboards and added 1/4 round shoe to keep the old style look. Better than the MDF on the market.....

Gary
Good point, Gary.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 9
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
I feel a solid board will cup and twist if you have high humidity. At least cut relief grooves in the back to help is stay straight with the seasonal changes. I used 3/4" plywood for my addition baseboards and added 1/4 round shoe to keep the old style look. Better than the MDF on the market.....

Gary
Painting both sides of the trim will help prevent it, too.
almostnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to almostnormal For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,243
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


i went to HD last night and i think i'm gonna use maple 1x6, it's about $2.5 per foot, which is reasonable. i shouldn't need more than 60 ft.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 762
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


I just used 1x6 poplar in three bathrooms I just remodelled. Customer didn't want any moulding on the top, so I used a plane with a rounding blade to take the arris off the edge
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Contractor - Renovations
 
fungku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 260
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


1x8, 1x6 whatever. It is fine. You can always build it up later and add a base cap.

1x8 is fairly large, but if you have really high ceilings and large crown then it could work.

Large crown and small base looks funny, and so does small crown and large base.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #11
Member
 
firehawkmph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Near Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,571
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
since i have a deep rooted hatred for anything beveled or routed grooves or any "aesthetic" form that serves no utilitarian purpose, i want to replace my baseboards with something so simple that can't be simpler. so would the cheapest 1xX lumber work, if painted?

thanks
So what kind of car do you drive, an old checker cab? Why would you pay 2.50/ft. for maple when you can buy poplar for less than half the price? Maple is more aesthetic and serves no utilitarian purpose over poplar.

Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


Quote:
Originally Posted by fungku View Post
1x8, 1x6 whatever. It is fine. You can always build it up later and add a base cap.

1x8 is fairly large, but if you have really high ceilings and large crown then it could work.

Large crown and small base looks funny, and so does small crown and large base.
So very, very true!
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgins View Post
... so I used a plane with a rounding blade to take the arris off the edge....
Not many people even KNOW that architectural term, let alone use it. Sharp! (not to make a pun...)
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
Experienced
 
Jackofall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Michigan
Posts: 2,822
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
So what kind of car do you drive, an old checker cab? Why would you pay 2.50/ft. for maple when you can buy poplar for less than half the price? Maple is more aesthetic and serves no utilitarian purpose over poplar.

Mike Hawkins
TooShea!!!!

And then paint it to boot.
__________________
When its all said and done there is usually more said than done
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
Member
 
Tom Struble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: west milford n.j.
Posts: 2,785
Default

using regular 1x8 as baseboard


i'm still trying to figure out whats so ''minimalist'' about a 1x8 base board

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
fungku (01-29-2011), Willie T (01-30-2011)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Baseboard Heater Questions mark2741 HVAC 0 12-31-2010 12:08 PM
Problem with 240V Elect Baseboard Heater JRHP Electrical 4 10-04-2010 09:30 AM
Laminate flooring / baseboard gap question willy0314 Flooring 0 08-07-2010 09:48 PM
Partial hydronic baseboard to radient floor conversion Jeepsail HVAC 4 01-17-2010 04:47 PM
Baseboard dilema Allyson Flooring 5 09-04-2009 08:30 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.