DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

using 8' studs vs 7'-9" studs

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Termite 
#1 ·
I'm in the designing stage for a new home. I'd like to know if there is a big cost savings (material cost savings) using 7'-9" studs vs using 8 foot studs? In the big picture, does it effect how much plywood sheathing is used to cover those studs, sheet rock...etc. I realize there's probably no cost savings in labor.... but wondering about the material cost difference...

I should also mention if I use the 8' studs, i'd use them full length, and not cut them. Same with the 7'9" studs... I'd use them full length with single bottom plate and double top plates.

Thanks

#2 ·
If you use full 8' studs for wall construction, and include your top plate thickness, your ceiling heights will be somewhere over 8'3", depending on your floor construction. That will mean that two 4' wide or 8' high sheets of drywall will not reach floor to ceiling on your walls. The construction industry pretty much revolves around 4'x8' sheets of almost everything and standard construction dimensions are geared toward those numbers to minimize waste.

#3 ·
You'd be crazy not to use precut studs. 94-5/8" precut studs will yield an 8' wall with two top plates and a bottom plate. Your drywall and plywood will lay out correctly.

Using a taller stud on an exterior wall complicates things slightly. There are precut studs for 9' walls (104-5/8") and 10' walls (116-5/8"). The biggest challenge is your exterior sheathing layout. In new construction these days, you need to be careful how you sheet the wall to resist wind shear loads. Your seams need to be a ways up on the stud, not by the plates.

If you want a taller wall, I'd suggest going with the 104-5/8" precuts, and you'll have 9' ceilings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.