Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Upside down & backward

Crown molding still confusing to you?

Here is a fantastic exercise to help plant the 'UPSIDE DOWN & BACKWARD' concept in your brain.

Using the 'nested' method, but NOT cutting anything 'UPSIDE DOWN or BACKWARD', simply cut two pieces of crown molding to go around a corner at the bottom of your wall... at the baseboard.

This is not a trick. This is straight forward. You cut what you're looking at.

See how easy it is to cut? And how easily it fits together?

NOW............................. pick up those two pieces of molding, and take them straight up to the ceiling... left piece in your left hand, and right piece in your right hand. Try to get them to fit. They won't work at all, will they? No way.

BUT............................. put the left piece on the right, and the right piece on the left. (or BACKWARD) at the same time rolling them UPSIDE DOWN................. and What happens?

THEY FIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! How about that? It's called The 'UPSIDE DOWN & BACKWARD' concept.

CLICK HERE for the rest of the story on cutting crown molding.

Here's another neat tip for remembering which way to cock the saw.

For INSIDE corners, the LONG POINT of the molding cut will be on the INSIDE of the saw bed... (farthest away from you)

For OUTSIDE corners, the LONG POINT of the molding cut will be on the OUTSIDE of the saw bed... (closest to you)

Last edited by Willie T; 04-28-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Upside down & backward

Man...It took me forever to grasp that concept. I would put the crown on the fence, look at it, look at the corner i'm cutting it for, look back down at the crown, imagine it up there, look at it all again, cut it...wrong, get mad throw the piece, then start over. I guess a half a dozen years and a couple miles of crown later I don't have to think too much.

sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Upside down & backward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausagefingers View Post
Man...It took me forever to grasp that concept. I would put the crown on the fence, look at it, look at the corner i'm cutting it for, look back down at the crown, imagine it up there, look at it all again, cut it...wrong, get mad throw the piece, then start over. I guess a half a dozen years and a couple miles of crown later I don't have to think too much.
Here's another neat tip for remembering which way to cock the saw.

For INSIDE corners, the LONG POINT of the molding cut will be on the INSIDE of the saw bed... (farthest away from you)

For OUTSIDE corners, the LONG POINT of the molding cut will be on the OUTSIDE of the saw bed... (closest to you)

(I've included this in the text above also.)
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Upside down & backward

something else to try and oops proof your crown, hold it up above your head the way it should lay on the wall and sketch a 45 degree line on the piece to be cut off a few inches past where your actual cut will be. That way when you flip it in the saw the line will keep you on track. Might look a little funky holding a piece of crown above your head drawing on it but at least you wont 2nd guess the cut
mgarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mgarfield For This Useful Post:
Willie T (04-29-2010)