Updating Plain Doors - Need Help - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Updating plain doors - Need Help

I am new to DIY, and would appreciate help, i have boaring plain flushed doors would like any advice how to update them, cheers sebbiemasc

Advertisement

sebbiemasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 266

One option would be to replace them with doors sold at HD or Lowes. I had the same doors as you and changed out all of the doors with the 6 panel raised panel doors. As it turned out, I had to trim about the thickness of a saw blade off the hinge side of every door. Then they fit the existing door jambs perfectly. Also, I made a homemade hinge mortise template and that made the work go alot smoothly.

Good luck.
Mike

Advertisement

MT Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Another option would be to go to your locale lumber yard or home center and pick out some low profile molding and glue it to the door surface. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Do it all the time. I usually use a moulding called A6. It's about 3/4" thick and I think an 1 1/4" wide. And of course that's one thing I don't have any pictures of. But an easy way I usually do it is to make a block of wood as a guide that's 4" x 6" . Then make two boxes on the doors 4" from the sides of the doors and 6" from the top and 8 - 10" from the bottom. Separate the boxes in the middle where the door handle is with the 6" side of the block. You can pretty much just mark where the moulding is going to go using the block as a guide and get your measurements fom there. It's not the most fun thing in the world to do, especially if you have an entire house of doors to do. It's an incredible amount of wood you'll be cutting. hahaha. BUt it looks great.

kenny
sausagefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #5

Thanks Bob, will do that much cheaper then replacement i live in rented accomadation. Cheers Sebbie.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #6

Thanks Kenny great idia will follow your tip so pleased i have found this sight, Cheers Sebbie.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

It's a labor vs cost trade-off.

On the one hand, if you just put in new doors (not that expensive), all you're doing is unscrewing and rescrewing hinges and locksets. Twenty minutes of work.

Then, if you do the molding, although you do no hardware work, you have, as sausage said, a whale a lot of cutting to do... not to mention installing that wood. And don't forget you have two sides to each door. I'd plan for an hour per side, per door. And molding also costs money... as does glue... and gun nails................ and yes, you'll find it a notch or two more difficult if you don't have a nail gun.

I think you can see the way I'm leaning.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-13-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #8

It does seem more easy to refit new doors my doors are extra wide for my wifes wheelchair would
these doors be costley to replace my bungalow belongs to H.A. Cheers Sebbie.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
It's a labor vs cost trade-off.

On the one hand, if you just put in new doors (not that expensive), all you're doing is unscrewing and rescrewing hinges and locksets. Twenty minutes of work.

Then, if you do the molding, although you do no hardware work, you have, as sausage said, a whale a lot of cutting to do... not to mention installing that wood. And don't forget you have two sides to each door. I'd plan for an hour per side, per door. And molding also costs money... as does glue... and gun nails................ and yes, you'll find it a notch or two more difficult if you don't have a nail gun.

I think you can see the way I'm leaning.
your point is well taken. WILLIE . but it would depend on the home, Each home could be different from the next. which could add more work and time .
Is the door out of square, is the new blank going to fit into the old opening, I have changed slabs and ran into a situation where the new slab was not the same size as the old. after mortising the hinges in the new slab and installed the door only to find that the door was 3/8 short on the strike side. Back in the day the slabs where true to there size, now they seam to be 3/16" shorter in width. as with the bottom plug of the door, The older doors had more meat to cut from now the newer doors require plugging. Go figure. The bottom line is it depends on the situation your up against.
I have installed molding on existing doors ,because of the owners budget. Just molding , construction adhesive, and then i use a hot glue gun to set the trim to the door until the adhesive sets. NO nails needed.
It all depends on the DIY'ERS skill level.

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote