Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Unique Load Bearing Question

Hi Everyone,

Love the community, long time lurker, first time poster. I am in the process of a small rennovation and I am looking to get opinions on whether or not the wall I would like to remove is load bearing in any way. My house is a contemporary built in 1968 so it is a bit unique - not your typicall floor plan so I will try to explain with pictures/etc. At first I was expecting the wall to be load bearing so I had planned to just frame with headers to disperse the load but as I started digging in I am starting to think that maybe it is not - and I would love to be able to remove the entire wall without having to leave a post.

First photo is sort of a reflected ceiling plan that I drew up. This shows what is in the ceiling above the wall that I would like to remove. Wall is indicated in red. The dark blue squares are the loly columns, the thick blue lines are the main beams for the house. The thinner blue lines are all 2by10 joists that run over the wall.

Second photo is a picture I took from the kitchen area after I had removed the drywall from the wall. Hopefully this helps with perspective and I will be able to take any other necessary pictures that will help.

Other information includes that this wall is built with staggered 2by4s (same width as 2by6 but with 2by4 for some reason). The top plate is a single 2by6 that has been butchered in many places to allow for plumbing to come through (you can see some plumbing on the right of the picture). Above the top plate I can see a 2by10 joist that spans from the main beam on the left to the outter wall on the right. If you look at the blueprint you can see there is a hallway above that overlooks the atrium area - I believe that one side of this hallway sits on the main beam that travels north and south on the diagram below, and the other side is toenailed into the joists that run right over the wall in question.

What I just said made sense in my head, but I understand it may not translate that well once it hits the thread. Please feel free to ask any questions - I would LOVE to be able to remove everything from this wall without building a header and having a post on the left side of the stove if at all possible. Thanks in advance for your advice.

tideman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by tideman83 View Post
I am in the process of a small rennovation...
...looking to get opinions on whether or not the wall
I would like to remove is load bearing in any way.
This is an exterior wall... right?
It's a VERY safe bet that it carries load.

More detail will require a site visit. Ideally by an engineer.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It is actually an interior wall but like I said the house is pretty unique. There are 2 bedrooms above the kitchen "section" of the house and 2 bedrooms above the living room "section" of the house. These sections are split by the two story atrium and stairway. Hope this makes sense.
tideman83 is offline   Reply With Quote