Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #1

Share |

Unfinished cabinets

Building new house and don't have ac on yet, will be 3 weeks. Can I install unfinished maple cabinets in den area without them warping. Location is south Louisiana.

markstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #2

Unfinished cabinets

Not sure why you would not finish them before installing, or buy finished cabinets.
Sure would be a whole lot easyer.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
DIY staff

Unfinished cabinets

Are they in the house now --without protection from humidity?

Some changes may occur if you install in a humid house---I do think finishing before installing is good---

You may have a door or two twist a bit---
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Unfinished cabinets

I've seen lacquered hardwood tops of expensive grand pianos crack coming to Chicago in winter from elsewhere. The humidity changes here are so severe it is amazing any wood survives. If changes happen to0 quickly, like 60 degrees one day to minus 20 three days later, the noises made scare some people but I think they add character to antique homes. Doors and windows you can barely open in the summer rattle in the winter.

I think in Louisiana you are almost better off not installing factory finished cabinets. If the cabinets came from somewhere other than a warehouse nearby I think, if you can stand it, I would let them acclimate a bit with or without AC on before finishing. I would put the stain or primer on when they are easy to move around. Finish after they are in place?

I don't think installing them in place will hurt if you need them out from under foot but be sure and protect them. Obviously you will want washers on your fasteners and plan to go back and tighten them as they will loosen when the wood of the cabinets and the moisture in your framing timber lessen. In my California home, the cabinet maker used a rubber washer behind the metal one to allow for expansion and contraction due to humidity changes. And things were fairly consistent there throughout the year with the ocean influence.

Shorter answer is I don't think maple is going to be more or less prone to warping whether you install them or not unless the wood grain gets scared by the gators and mud puppies. You live there though. How do others handle and acclimate cabinetry? I am curious.

Last edited by user1007; 09-07-2012 at 08:26 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote