Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Get er done

Share |

Uneven ceiling joists

I built an outside covered area over my patio. It's 32' by 16', with 2x 6 ceiling joists that I plan on installing 1x6 beaded T&G. I held a straight edge up on the joists and noticed that there is a 1/4" or so difference in some of them lining up level with each other. Is this something that will be noticeable if I were to install the T&G as it is? If it will be noticeable I could sure us some tips on leveling them out.

Thank you in advance.

Kelly
kbrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
Remodeler

Uneven ceiling joists

Kelly,
Floor joists are made even on the top when building. They do run different widths as you are seeing. You will need to shim them to be even. Easies way is to use furring strips 1x2s and shim these as you go along with small shims under the furring. Then you can attach your bead board. It will show up terribly if you just attach them now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Uneven ceiling joists

As suggested by Minconst. Same advice.

You will most definitely see the difference. It will look like crapola, if you don't shim them, or, option # 2: Sister a nailer (2x4) next to them, at the lower height that matches the other joists.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Uneven ceiling joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrena View Post
I built an outside covered area over my patio. It's 32' by 16', with 2x 6 ceiling joists that I plan on installing 1x6 beaded T&G. I held a straight edge up on the joists and noticed that there is a 1/4" or so difference in some of them lining up level with each other. Is this something that will be noticeable if I were to install the T&G as it is? If it will be noticeable I could sure us some tips on leveling them out.

Thank you in advance.

Kelly

From your post I envisioning a patio roof with a flat ceiling, With 2x6's running from the house wall ledger board out the 16' to the top of a girder nailed along side of the roof rafters, If this is correct then first did you crown all the 2x6's when they were installed. and second is there a strong-back in the middle of the span. installed on top of the ceiling joists. ( definition of a strong back, 2x4 laid flat on top of the joist from on wall to the other outer wall nailed to the gable studs and nailed down to the top of the joist, then An additional 2x4 or 2x6 stood on edge nailed into the side of the last 2x4 in the middle of the joist span and spiked down in an angle into the ceiling joist.) purpose to tie the end wall together and to keep the ceiling beams all in one plane.
what I have done to existing ceiling joists that were bowed was to take a caulk line and snapped a line along side them then took a power plain and plain-ed them down to the line checking them with a straight edge from the one I previously plain ed.
I hope I was of any help BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #5
Get er done

Uneven ceiling joists

I checked the jousts and it appears that a few were not set to crown. I did not install a strong back. Would that pull them up quite a bit? I ran a string line from one side to the other. The joists in the middle of the span are 1/4" to 3/8" lower than the rest. I picked up some shims but after running the string line I think it may be too much to shim. If you thing that a strong back will make a difference than I will give that a try. Then after that hopefully I can plain and shim for fine tuning. Would it be easiest to just find the jousts that are the worst and just cut them out and replace them? The lumber will be delivered tomorrow, but won't start working until the day after the 4th of July. So please post more ideas. I really appreciate all of you.
kbrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Uneven ceiling joists

I would install the strong back . it will bring the beam up to some degree, or completely. if it don't then you could rent a plainer and to bring it in line. if your going to replace the beam you will have to install the strong back anyway. this will help one beam from bowing down more then the next when the wood dries.
BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote