Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Another DIY Zombie

Rewards Points: 250

UGH! Trim joints are opening up!

So, last year I went and installed all new trim (doors, windows, crown, base, etc.). Now I am finding almost all coped joints are opening up! I was very derelict this year in getting the humidifier set up and running. So, now I am hoping that once I get some moisture back into the house, the joints will close back up. FYI, this was all MDF and joints were either mitered or coped, then filled and painted. Only a couple of the mitered joints are opening up (all mitered joints were glued).

Anyhow, it makes me wonder what the pros do for this? Obviously, if you installed molding and the joints open up a few months later, I would think that the HO would be calling...

javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It does happen, probably more so with MDF from my experience. I always glue my miter joints, and use white flexible caulk to seal up coped intersections. Most professional trim carpenters...The non-budget price guys...Minimize their use of MDF mouldings for this and other reasons.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yep, do as kct suggested; use a flexible latex caulk that will fill the voids, as the wood expands and contracts with seasonal changes (warm months: expand/ cold months: contract). Prime and paint after caulking is fully cured (use latex based primer and paint).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Another DIY Zombie

Thanks and Thanks.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,628

Back when we were trimming it was difficult to get the HO to turn the heat on in the winter time while we were trimming their new house. We warned them about opening joins in all the trim if they didn't have the heat on.

The trim must have time to acclimate. Trim just brought in the house and installed right away will most times open up later when the heat has been on for a while.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
Another DIY Zombie

Our trim was delivered in one trip, then moved to the basement, where it was painted and cut. Basement is typically 5 deg off of the rest of the house. Work started in March and ended in Sept (not 100% true since I have 3 walls of base to do, but now all time goes to the baby)