Type Nails? - Wooden Trim Into Cement Board - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Type nails? - wooden trim into cement board

I am replacing wood trim around several windows and have a question about the proper nails to use. The siding that the trim is nailed into is cement board. It appears that the vertical pieces were nailed using a 3 inch 6D nail and the horizontal trim used a 1.75 inch ring shank nail. I am thinking that the use of the 3 inch nails on the vertical trim was a shortcut to secure the cement board and the trim in one step (there are no nails in the cement board adjacent to the window with the trim removed). Should I nail the cement board with 3 in ring shank nails first then nail up the trim using the shorter ring shank nails? Also, should I drill a small pilot hole first?

Advertisement

Easypick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

if using a hammer to drive the nails you risk breaking cement siding if nailed near the bottom corners of the pieces. there is a lot of banging required (and bent nails) before the nails insert through the face of the siding. consider stainless steel trim screws with a pre drilled hole through both the trim and siding but not the wall sheathing and sink the trim screw through the sheathing and into the framing around the window, or get a pneumatic trim gun nailer and shoot the trim to the siding and into the sheathing and framing.

have your holes drilled in the trim and then temp place trim around window to transfer the holes to the siding and then drill the siding holes, I like to tack trim in place and then use pre drilled holes to drill through to the siding.

Advertisement

Last edited by hand drive; 07-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
sixeightten (07-20-2013)
Old 07-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 572

Got a picture of this trim?
I just use my siding nailer with ring shanked 2-1/2" siding nails most of the time.
They have a small shank and head so they do not show as bad.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Here are a few pics. In additon to replacing the window trim I am also replacing the corner boards. I looked the prices of a siding nailer and it looks like I will go the screw route for my budget. Would a deck screw work as well as SS? (I have a lot left over from anohter porject of the needed size).
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 572

It needs to be a trim head screw. It has a much smaller head then a normal deck screw.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #6

Thanks all for your help.

Advertisement