Two-Level Deck Post Question - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Two-Level Deck Post Question

Designing a 2-level deck (same layout top and bottom). Upper and lower decks will have beam about 8 feet from house ledger. Question is regarding the posts. What's best way to install the posts...(1) run one post from the concrete to the top level beam and then fasten the bottom level beam to the side of the post...or (2) put short post from concrete to bottom level beam, and then sit another on top of that beam to support the top beam? I hope I'm being clear. Thanks! M

Advertisement

Melanie337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

I'm not sure of the size of your beam, deck heights, etc... but in general I would consider using oversized posts and notching them for the first level, and either notching again or sitting the second level on top. Notching and lagging is very strong and helps limit twisting.

Advertisement

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

First thing is to get a permit... Second thing is to NOT bolt the beam to the side of the post. You can stack posts OR and this is the prefered method would be to run the post from footing to top deck. Use a 6x6 post for this and notch the top so the beam sits ON the post and in the post. EX 3" X 9.25" beam 5.5" post cut out 3" X 9.25" and bolt the beam to the remaining 2.5". In the middle deck do the same thing. Make a notch for the beam to recess into. BTW the footing will need to be a lot larger than normal because it is bearing 2X the weight... I would assume 14"-24" DIA (and as deep as required by your local code) It all depends upon the loading requirements, frame, beam size, etc, etc.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote