Tv Lifts, Cabinets And Columns... - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

tv lifts, cabinets and columns...

Has anyone here attempted at building a TV lift cabinet? I've done some research, and it doesn't seem impossible, it just finding a solid, but inexpensive lift is the hardest part.

Also if you have, what kind of cabinet style did you decide on? I was thinking of making it wide enough to hold the audio components, but that isn't a necessity. there is also the possibility of buying an older piece of furniture and gutting it.

Also, i'm going to be taking out a wall and installing columns to hold up the beam/header. I'm not sure if its a waste of time to do fancy columns or just sheetrock 4x4's, or 2x4's with a gap for wiring.

This is a project starting post... so its an open slate as of right now... any input would be sweet. thanks

Advertisement

smallcrpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

tv lifts, cabinets and columns...

It is not impossible, as they are built all the time. How ever, your observation is correct about no solid, inexpensive mechanisms. They are pricey.I am sure there exist some cheap stuff somewhere, but I don't think I would invest time to build what I consider a permanent installation using a cheap mechanism, as the cabinet is pretty much built to the particular lift, so when the cheap one breaks, chances are the cabinet would be junk also. As for the colums, I would use the surrounding area to determine how plain or fancy.

Advertisement

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote