Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tub Deck Framing

Hello all...first post on a new project.

I am in the process of remodeling my master bath and have a question. When framing a tub deck, what are my options for attaching it to the slab? The actual dimensions, studs 16" on center doubled on the corners, and attaching to the walls I've got a grip on...any suggestions on how to secure it to the floor (slab)?

Thanks,

Boyd

FlyBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tub Deck Framing

first make sure you know where the heat lines,hot & cold water lines are located if under the slab, lay out your platform on the floor and then install a single 2x4 ACQ on the slab, install with either Tapcon's or masonry nails what ever is available to you. and work up from there. I install a sheet of 3/4 plywood on top of my finished framing mark my tub template and cut out with a jig saw. then I finish off with a sheet of 1/2" duro rock. So the bottom line is to find the exact height from the floor to the underside of the tub platform flange. then deduct your plywood, duro-rock, and tile/granite/marble.what ever you choose for your surface material.You should be good to go, And don't forget the access panel
GOOD LUCK BOB I love useing the split drive's

Last edited by buletbob; 10-18-2008 at 05:44 AM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Tub Deck Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoyd View Post
Hello all...first post on a new project.

I am in the process of remodeling my master bath and have a question. When framing a tub deck, what are my options for attaching it to the slab? The actual dimensions, studs 16" on center doubled on the corners, and attaching to the walls I've got a grip on...any suggestions on how to secure it to the floor (slab)?

Thanks,

Boyd

Hi Boyd,
The best thing to do is 1/4'' by 3 1/2'' wedge anchor drill 1/4 hole through plate into concrete (roto hammer) pound wedge in or concrete nails if your lucky.
zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
Green Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Tub Deck Framing

I apply plenty of caulk or liquid nails to the bottom plate and tag it with a couple of shot-pins to keep it located while the adhesive sets.

Wedge-anchors etc, are a bit overkill IMO me since there is never any uplift on a tub deck, and usually, by the time all is said and done a tub surround is fairly overbuilt with multiple bracing layers.
chalk_hill is offline   Reply With Quote