Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Talking

Trying to enclose back porch

I need advice... I have a 12 x 30 covered back porch, I am trying to enclose it and have so far framed one side. The problem I am running into is I have a brick home and I'm not sure how to close the "gap" where my new wall will meet the bricks. Is there something special I need to do or some kind of product I should put there. Also my new wall doesn't go to the edge of the concrete slab there is about 1 1/2 inches sticking out, will rain collect there and soak into my new wall? What can I do to stop it? The wall can not be moved out, in order to connect to the existing roof it has to be where it is. Please any advice is appreciated, Thanks all

Crimson Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Dove View Post
I need advice... I have a 12 x 30 covered back porch, I am trying to enclose it and have so far framed one side. The problem I am running into is I have a brick home and I'm not sure how to close the "gap" where my new wall will meet the bricks. Is there something special I need to do or some kind of product I should put there. Also my new wall doesn't go to the edge of the concrete slab there is about 1 1/2 inches sticking out, will rain collect there and soak into my new wall? What can I do to stop it? The wall can not be moved out, in order to connect to the existing roof it has to be where it is. Please any advice is appreciated, Thanks all
Most of the time when you do this job, you need to get a permit. If the porch is legal at this time, it will state on the C of O that this is an, "open framed porch". When you enclose it, it changes the definition. If you add electric to the structure, such as outlets and switches, you need that inspected. If this is a 3 season porch, the electrical requirements might be different then a heated house extension. You would need to check with the local authorities.
Having a lip that will hold water is not a good idea. It will give you problems in the future. If you had asked questions prior to framing, I would have recommended a layer of block around the perimeter to get the wood off the ground.
There is also the matter of a proper footing around the perimeter, below the frostline I'm sure you've already have in place or taken care of.
These changes aren't as straight forward as you think.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (10-21-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have seen sloped flashing installed to keep water from collecting and running in under the bottom plate. The plate itself will have a plastic barrier underneath it, to keep the water from wicking up into the wall.

I'm not familiar with any commercial devices for joining wood framing to a brick wall.
I would suggest that a vertical, PT ledger(?) board would be attached to the brick surface. Before its lagged down, it would be caulked on the inside surface to prevent drafts from coming in.
The first stud of the wall would be nailed to this, to form a double stud.
What sort of siding do you plan for the walls?
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote