Trying To Decide - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Trying to decide

I bought our house a couple years ago, and have found several issues with the basement finishing the previous owners did. I have found that all the tape lines are visible on the drywall, the moulding is not straight or nailed, doors hung crooked, and several other issues. I am considering starting over even though it is finished. With this many problems, do you think I should go back to the studs and see what else he did wrong?

Don't have any pictures here at work, but just some other side notes. Some of the exposed studs in the closets are severly warped, some of the walls are not attached to the concrete floor, you can feel drafts coming from the walls, and some of the wiring is suspect. I am also changing the lighting from track to recessed, getting rid of the popcorn cieling and putting in a built in for the TV with bookcases.

Advertisement

Last edited by MilitaryGuy1982; 11-21-2011 at 11:05 AM.
MilitaryGuy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Trying to decide

Quote:
With this many problems, do you think I should go back to the studs and see what else he did wrong?
Nope! Generally the drywall seams can be repaired. How about a few pictures?
Doors can be re-hung.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

Trying to decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryGuy1982 View Post
I bought our house a couple years ago, and have found several issues with the basement finishing the previous owners did. I have found that all the tape lines are visible on the drywall, the moulding is not straight or nailed, doors hung crooked, and several other issues. I am considering starting over even though it is finished. With this many problems, do you think I should go back to the studs and see what else he did wrong?

Don't have any pictures here at work, but just some other side notes. Some of the exposed studs in the closets are severly warped, some of the walls are not attached to the concrete floor, you can feel drafts coming from the walls, and some of the wiring is suspect. I am also changing the lighting from track to recessed, getting rid of the popcorn cieling and putting in a built in for the TV with bookcases.
Bud is right. Don't rip it all out - at least not yet, anyway. Shoddy finish work can sometimes be corrected, and rather easily. That popcorn ceiling texture crap can be moistened and easily removed. Recessed lighting is not overly difficult to install. You might just have a bunch of tweaking that needs to be done.

On the other hand, if the previous owner didn't insulate (and probably didn't use vapor barrier either), used bad materials, and wired everything incorrectly, you might be better of just ripping it down & starting over.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

Trying to decide

you dont have to tear everything out, i would remove the drywall only where the draft is. dont worry about the partitions.. you can skim coat the bade mud job on those walls. the bad trim and doors definitely should be taken care of
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

Trying to decide

"you can feel drafts coming from the walls," ------ open an inspection hole in the area and check for rigid foam board on the concrete.
Where are you located?

Gary
Old 11-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Trying to decide

I'd explore the electrical and the insulation.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Trying to decide

My experience has been that if the exposed work is shoddy, then what's behind it is no better. You can fix trim and bad drywall finish, but in the end you may be putting lipstick on a pig. You have loose walls, drafts and suspect wiring. I'd get rid of it and do it right.

Advertisement

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote