Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

truss roof trouble....

I currently am renovating a home that I own with a FINK roof truss system at 24" on center. It is a ranch home on a concrete slab. My problem is that the ceillings are a bit too low, and I would like to create "tray-ceilings" in a couple of the rooms to add some dimension to the space. In order to do that I would need to raise the ceiling in those rooms around 12" and make adjustments to the trusses. It seems simple but I cannot find any info on whether it can be done.

Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

truss roof trouble....

That truss was engineered to be exactly the way it is and modification of it would affect the integrity of it. I would imagine the only way to accomplish that is to build up the heel connecting to the top plate and strapping to exsisting wall. Personally I would go to a truss retailor and tell them your request and let them spec it out. I live near a truss manufacturer and don't what kind of service the rest of the country gets though but here it is great...

bob

bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

truss roof trouble....

thanks for the quick reply.....

I will try to find a local truss company here in Pittsburgh. But, if you have a recommendation of a company that I can deal with I would appreciate it. I can email him/her my drawings and pics to come up with a design.

One idea I had was to raise the ceiling joist in those areas all the way across the span and support across the area where the joists are raised with headers on the perpendicular ends of the tray ceiling.
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:38 AM   #4
sub-contractor

Rewards Points: 25

truss roof trouble....

When dealing with trusses, it is exactly as bob has put it. You can't raise the joists because they are a structural component of the truss, and by moving or cutting of them in any way, you would be tampering with the structural integrity of the roof. They do however, sell vaulted trusses that arent quite the same pitch as the actual roof but offer a nice accent. They are probably exactly what the doctor ordered. Call any lumberyard up and they will be happy to introduce you with some truss companies, and might even have some catalogs behind the desk for you to breeze through.
Aceinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote