Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #1

Share |

Troubleshooting a pre-hung door

I just installed a brand new pre-hung interior door. To the best of our knowledge. everything is plumb, level and square as the door sits now. 1 small problem, the top of the door (handle side) sticks out. Bottom is ok. Hinge side, everything seems ok. Door opens and closes nicely. I can make the gap disappear if I pull out on the top of the door frame, ( keeping the bottom in place, just pivoting) but then the door is noticeably out of plumb. Any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Troubleshooting a pre-hung door-door-pic3.jpg  

sithappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Sadly: Pre-hung doors are massed produced to the point that it's not uncommon to purchase one with flaws in the manufacturing process.

1.) Check all hinges for proper screw torque (tightness).

2.) Check all hinge mortises for proper and even depth cuts.

3.) Check all hinges for proper operation.

4.) Measure the door slab width at three locations; top/middle/bottom. Check measurements for equal ness. Do this on both sides of the door, as the closing bevel cut may be different.

5.) Measure the Jamb widths; top/middle/bottom - Check for equal ness.

6.) Lastly, if all show of the above reveals nothing: Easiest DIY solution: Mark the door panel itself - where it hits the jamb, remove the door panel, plane down the area evenly. Re-install.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 02-12-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #3

Instead of moving one corner in and out to get rid of the gap.. Try moving all 4 corners in or out for the same effect. In the pic you posted if you move the hinge side bottom the oppisite way it will close up the gap. Sorry if it doesnt make sence.. I'm not good explaining things thru a keyboard
RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRCon View Post
Instead of moving one corner in and out to get rid of the gap.. Try moving all 4 corners in or out for the same effect. In the pic you posted if you move the hinge side bottom the oppisite way it will close up the gap. Sorry if it doesnt make sence.. I'm not good explaining things thru a keyboard
Assuming that there is room on the top edge to get rid of the "offset". That is a good suggestion: to "shim" the lower hinge and see what you get....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Assuming that there is room on the top edge to get rid of the "offset". That is a good suggestion: to "shim" the lower hinge and see what you get....
I guess I was trying to say maybe the sill plate got shifted so one side of the wall(not the jamb) is out of plumb? You can take a 3-4' 2x4 and put it against the bottom plate leangthwise and move the wall back plumb again with a big enought hammer, not saying i've ever done that
RTRCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #6

Thanks for the input folks. I'm going to try some of the suggestions mentioned. Unfortunately, I liquid nailed the bottom of the door frame to the foundation. But the short wall that I build to house it, is just screwed in with framing clips. Don't know if it will work, but figure i could unscrew them at the top and play with twisting the 2x4's to and fro and side to side. Maybe that will do something.
sithappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #7

Stretch a string across the opening from the four corners to form an "X" in the middle of the opening. If the strings do not touch where they cross the jamb and/or rough frame is cross legged or not in the same plane.

Or the door could be warped. Use two identical sticks on each end of the door and have the door laying on a flat and level set of saw horses. Look across the ends of the door and if the sticks don't line up, the door is warped.

kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote