Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Trouble with Stair skirt board. Need Advice and help. PIC!!

I have another post going about installing treads and this is part of the same project. I have everything mapped out as to how I want it but can not figure out one part or side of the skirt board running up the stairs. The stairs are narrow and turn. The only part I am stuck on is one side of the skirt. As you can see in the pic, the fourth step is almost pie shaped where it turns which is throwing off the alignment of the skirt on the top of the photo.

How is the best way to do this skirtboard? I want it to look real good too. That is the only section I can't figure out.

Any help, tips or advice would be great. I want to tackle this project this weekend.

This is the only pic I could find and it is looking down from the top.

bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #2

here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Trouble with Stair skirt board. Need Advice and help. PIC!!-phplnddevam.jpg  

Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,258

I don't understand what you want to do. The picture shows the skirt board about the same all the way up. I can only suggest making your skirt board taller. One thing I did notice is the stairs would not pass code in Tennessee, the line of ascent is too narrow.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

Thats the way it was originally built. I am just replacing the treads and skirtboard so i shouldn't have any issues with code, right? Inspectors have been in a few times already and have said nothing.

The skirt board won't lay straight down because the angle is different on that fourth step. I want to make it look uniform and professional. It would have to be a lot higher to make the pitch.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Stair builder

Rewards Points: 250

Any time tread width changes you get a pitch change. You need to make a skirt easing to maintain more consistent nosing reveals.
Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #6

Hey Keith Mathewson,

what is the best way to do that? Or what exactly do you mean? New to this and sometimes it takes a little more fo rme to understand. Sorry
Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

On the tread that starts from the corner, put in a straight piece of skirting, then continue down the rest of the way with the same pitch as the rest of the skirting
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #8

I think that might do it...
Old 12-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #9

Hmm. Looked at it a little further when I got home. So from the bottom, I can hit the 1st, 2nd, third, and forth tread ok (aligned) before the fifth is way off. If I start from the corner with a straight piece will that look ok?

Would you draw a line up hitting those first threads, and then after the curve (top steps) draw a line and then at that corner point connect the upper line and go straight over until you hit the line coming up from the first four steps? Is that what you mean? That fifth step will still be off alot then. Will it look A-ok?

Also what is a standard space from the tread bullnose to the top of the skirt? an inch or two, then the molding.

Open for all the input as possible, that id the only piece I am stuck on and I am getting close....

I really appreciate the help on this one guys!!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan781 View Post
If I start from the corner with a straight piece will that look ok? YES

Would you draw a line up hitting those first threads, and then after the curve (top steps) draw a line and then at that corner point connect the upper line and go straight over until you hit the line coming up from the first four steps? Is that what you mean? That fifth step will still be off alot then. Will it look A-ok? YES

Also what is a standard space from the tread bullnose to the top of the skirt? an inch or two, then the molding. 2 or 3"
Hope that helps
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #11
Stair builder

Rewards Points: 250

There are a couple of ways to do this. The way most commonly done is one that I personally don't like. I really don't care for skirt or rail that jumps around with miters. The alternative is a more work and may be outside of the diy range. However if you want to attempt it make marks on the wall above the nosings for whatever reveal you want- 2" or so. Then take a piece of 1/4"x1/4" hardwood a few feet long and flex it to come close, but not rigidly close to the marks. You are fairing the curve. Trace the curve onto the wall, stand back and see if you like the curve. You may have to modify the curve in a couple of places until the curve is fair. Once you have a fair curve work the skirtboard with jigsaw and spokeshave until it matches the drawings.

Keith Mathewson is offline   Reply With Quote