Trimwork Questions. - Carpentry - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Trimwork Questions.

Hello. My name is Adam. My experience with carpentry is limited. However, I've been hired to install door and window trim in a house that's being sold in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I'm familiar and comfortable with the tools necessary to finish the job. The process itself, however, is a bit foreign to me. I've watched a film, scanned through a book. I'm eager to take on the job.

The problem I'm running into is that the window jambs are not flush with the surrounding drywall. I would use jamb extenders to correct this problem but the gap between the jamb and the drywall is not uniform around the window. At the top of the window, the drywall is proud of the jamb 3/8". Once you follow the side jambs down, however, the bottom is flush with the drywall and would require no jamb extenders.

The person that's hired me to complete the work has suggested running a jamb extender around the window to compensate for the greatest gap (3/8"). At the bottom, then, there would be a 3/8" gap between the trim and the wall behind it. He intends to caulk this cap and paint over it. I think the resulting gap may be too large to caulk.

Please reply with any thoughts or suggestions you may have. One other possible solution is to reset the placement of the window itself in order to bring the jambs flush with the drywall. This may be more work than it's worth as the house isn't in the best of shape to begin with and the sellers are only interested in getting it on the market as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I appreciate the database of information that this website provides.


adettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor
wolffhomerepair's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Tonawanda NY
Posts: 13
Rewards Points: 10

Typically with jam extensions you make them slightly thicker than the biggest dimension. In your case 3/8". Then attach and take a hand plane to bring them to the exact level of the drywall.


wolffhomerepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Master Craftsman
Big Dave's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southwest Mo.
Posts: 289
Rewards Points: 250

Is this a new home or a remodel. The reason that I ask is in some new construction the framers, who usually install the windows, do not do a great job. If the house has vinyl siding on it you may be able to go to the exterior and push the top of the window in enough to be flush. I have done this a thousand times.

Just a thought, Dave.
Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
remodeling pro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,399
Rewards Points: 500

I cut tapered extensions on a table saw so they are flush with the drywall face or if you can't get a fairly accurate measurement, cut the width oversize, hold it in place, and scribe down the wall with a pencil. This will leave the extensions about a sixteenth proud of the wall. If the customer is willing to caulk three eighths of an inch, this will be absolute perfection to him.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Plumb Dumb
winkydink's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 10

Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
This will leave the extensions about a sixteenth proud of the wall. If the customer is willing to caulk three eighths of an inch, this will be absolute perfection to him.
I have never heard the use of "Proud" as in quote above.
It is also used in the first post of this thread.

Can someone please explain it to me? Is this Canadian talk?
Or what is it's area of useage?



Last edited by winkydink; 11-10-2006 at 11:51 AM.
winkydink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 430
Rewards Points: 250

The Concise Oxford Dic. says: " Proud / adj. slightly projecting from a surface (The nail stood proud of the plank)" and mentions that it is a British usage (So Canadian too, presumably)


Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aluminum-wired house, questions LMH Electrical 2 05-24-2009 03:06 AM
tiling questions - in middle of install mwill Flooring 8 12-11-2007 05:06 PM
some questions on masonry/cement/concrete (general q's) joeyboy Building & Construction 20 06-25-2007 08:53 PM
questions about wood shake roof oraph Roofing/Siding 4 10-26-2006 05:10 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1