Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

trimming window

Is this an acceptable way of doing a window apron? I really disliked the way the conventional method looked with this trim. (i know it's not lined up quite right as i used scraps to do this picture quickly)
Attached Thumbnails
trimming window-314852_2334500675272_1032476192_32721029_4279201_n-1-.jpg  

jbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbitt For This Useful Post:
Maryan1313 (10-10-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

trimming window

The detail under the sill is incorrect. Generally, I think it is an upside down piece of casing with the ends returned with a 45 degree bevel.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
STAFF

trimming window

I haven't seen an apron run like that before but I like it, it looks like a continuation of the side trim through the stool.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

trimming window

doing the apron that way makes it look like the sil was an after thought on a window that received a picture frame detail

the apron should be returned into the wall or use a thin piece of flatstock and cut it on a 30 degree angle on the face
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #5

trimming window

It's acceptable if you like it/ can live with it. Or more specifically, its acceptable if your wife approves..
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1910NE For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-05-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #6

trimming window

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten
The detail under the sill is incorrect. Generally, I think it is an upside down piece of casing with the ends returned with a 45 degree bevel.
Correct. Thick end of casing up with returns on both ends.
Justgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
STAFF

trimming window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justgaff View Post
Correct. Thick end of casing up with returns on both ends.
You have never seen it run another way as in a custom? If the home owner likes it then it is correct, just because some do it another way, who is the authority who is to say it is incorrect?

Jim
Old 10-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
KemoSabe

trimming window

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
You have never seen it run another way as in a custom? If the home owner likes it then it is correct, just because some do it another way, who is the authority who is to say it is incorrect?
Well, the person signing the check is typically the authority. If I did a "custom" apron like that in any one of the multi-million dollar homes I've worked on for "custom" builders, I'd be ripping and replacing for free.
woodworkbykirk (10-09-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
STAFF

trimming window

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Well, the person signing the check is typically the authority. If I did a "custom" apron like that in any one of the multi-million dollar homes I've worked on for "custom" builders, I'd be ripping and replacing for free.
Not if they asked for it. I have contracted/built million dollar custom homes also and no the aprons didn't look like that, my point is there is not really a set standard. I know there are rubber stamp houses out there where they use the same style over and over but that is not the only way acceptable, those are contractor or market houses, well they use to be before everything went to the dogs.

Jim
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
KemoSabe

trimming window

Quote:
Not if they asked for it. I have contracted/built million dollar custom homes also and no the aprons didn't look like that, my point is there is not really a set standard. I know there are rubber stamp houses out there where they use the same style over and over but that is not the only way acceptable, those are contractor or market houses, well they use to be before everything went to the dogs.
I agree that whatever the buyer wants, the buyer gets, but in the last 25 years, not only have I never been asked to do an apron like that, I've never been in a house that had them done that way and I always make it a point to look at trim details.

Some might consider that picture framed effect custom, but I would definitely argue that it goes against the set standard in an application that includes a stool cap.

In my experience, it's either a mitered return into the wall (custom), or a 5 degree angled slash on each end to fool the eye into an illusion of a mitered return. (Tract or development quality)
Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
STAFF

trimming window

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
I agree that whatever the buyer wants, the buyer gets, but in the last 25 years, not only have I never been asked to do an apron like that, I've never been in a house that had them done that way and I always make it a point to look at trim details.

Some might consider that picture framed effect custom, but I would definitely argue that it goes against the set standard in an application that includes a stool cap.

In my experience, it's either a mitered return into the wall (custom), or a 5 degree angled slash on each end to fool the eye into an illusion of a mitered return. (Tract or development quality)
I totally agree, I have never seen an apron run like that and I was in wood working for 42 years but it is interesting. Picture framing a window I have never liked, it looks cheap and an easy way out but some windows call for that and so do some people.

Jim
Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
KemoSabe

trimming window

Quote:
I totally agree, I have never seen an apron run like that and I was in wood working for 42 years but it is interesting. Picture framing a window I have never liked, it looks cheap and an easy way out but some windows call for that and so do some people.
I've done tons of picture framed windows, although most were casement style in a contemporary home. I guess the OPs pic just reminds me of a picture framed window that someone sawzalled a groove in to accept the stool.

I guess the word I'm thinking of is "traditional", while the OPs example is non-traditional.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #13

trimming window

It does draw the eye away from the stack of extra blinds.

Gary
Old 10-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter

trimming window

actually teh technical name for this method is known as " wander home from the tavern and notice the saw setup and trim next to it"
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #15

trimming window

What is wrong with that? there is no need to follow the same style!

timBean is offline   Reply With Quote