Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Carpentry

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
tmpyankee

Share |

Trimming-out drywall-wrapped openings

Hello. I got talked into 'wrapping' openings (like the opening between living room and dining room--there's no door) with drywall and trimbead on my current renovation project. Usually I just trim out the whole thing--wall and jamb sides. Anyway, now I find that trimming this out is a little weird.

Do I run my face trim straight down to the floor like I usually would? If I do that, and butt the basebard up against the face trim, then what do I do with the trim on the jamb side? Or do I first run my baseboard continuously around opening, then run my face trim, butting it up against the top of the baseboard?

I'm not sure if you can figure out what I'm asking. I don't have a picture, although that would be easier.

tmpyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Not sure I follow you.

A.) Are you "wrapping" the opening with drywall (sheetrock) and corner bead?
OR
B.) Are you isntalling wood trim around the opening?

A.) Drywall: Install sheetrock as needed, install corner bead, coat, sand. Then install the baseboard, wrap the baseboard around the lower walls and what would be the "Jamb" as well. Miter the corners.

B.) Wood Trim: Install jambs to the floor. Install Casings to the floor. Install baseboard on walls (not at jambs) and but the B.B. to the casings.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
tmpyankee

Thank you. We are wrapping the doorway with drywall--in fact, it's already done. And the guy who is handling my trim is installing the trim as though we did NOT wrap the doorways in drywall. He installed the casings to the floor first and then butted the baseboard up against it on the wall side of the doorway. That leaves an awkward trim problem on the jamb side of business.

Well, I guess I'm on my way over there to tell him to start over again. This is why, until this project, I have done all the work myself. I really hate this crap.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #4

You could have him cut mitered returns on the end of the baseboards so they aren't just simply stopped. It is a subtle detail but sometimes looks good.

Here's an example...I did it here with the base cap. By the way this picture was taken before I did some very necessary spackling!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #5

It helps to attach the pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Trimming-out drywall-wrapped openings-img_0843.jpg  
Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #6
tmpyankee

Thank you, kctermite. Thanks for the picture--to me, that is the ONLY way to do trim in that situation. You simply must make the trim return on itself. It provides a nice, polished finish. I wish I had a picture of a simple doorway (without a door) that is fully wrapped in drywall and then trimmed out properly.

I went over to the job site and argued with the trim guy. He insists that, not only do you not wrap the baseboard around and then but the casing up against the BB, but you don't put any BB or other trim on the jamb side of the opening. He says that, once the finish flooring is in, he finishes the drywall on the jamb so that it meets right up against the flooring seemlessly. This makes no sense to me. I think he's just trying to cut corners.

Can anyone help me with good picture examples of how to trim out this exact type of situation?
Old 08-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #7

It is definately an atypical situation you're dealing with.

I'm confused...Are you casing the opening or not? If so, I don't know of a good way to trim it. It is just very unconventional, at least around here. These sorts of things vary from region to region though.

Bottom line is that he's your contractor, and should trim it the way YOU want it.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
tmpyankee

Yes, this is a weird situation. I regret letting him talk me into wrapping these openings in drywall. Am I right in thinking that this 'finish' option is more appropriate in more contemporary homes, where you install only baseboard around the bottom--no casing at all? Isn't that how it's usually treated?

What I really want him to do is install a trim piece against the jamb, and then reposition the casing so there is like a 1/8" reveal. Just like I wanted it in the first place. It's only 3 doorways. It's not going to kill him.

Whattaya think? I really appreciate the advice I've been given here, by the way. I have been searching for a good DIY forum for nearly a year now, and this one looks great. I've spent the past couple of hours scouring other posts and have learned a lot! I've learned many new things, but it's also great to learn that I've been doing a lot of things right all along! Thank you very much, everyone.

I'm gonna go post an introduction of myself in the intro forum, if anyone's interested.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #9

I'm with you on this. It isn't too late to conventionally build the jamb and cased opening. If nothing else, it will look good and will be much more durable.

I occasionally see homes with rocked jambs, but they're usually the "southwest" look with the rounded corner bead instead of the standard 90 degree stuff. On those, they run the base right through the opening.

Remember, you're paying for this. You need to love it when it is done.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

I too suggest taking the S/R out (if needed) and just going with the classic wood cased openings.

I personally hate S/R wrapped openings. We only see them, or do them, on bargain, low budget projects.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 AM   #11
tmpyankee

Thanks guys. I agree completely. In fact, I'm on my way over right now to straighten all of this out. It will be done the way I like (the right way!) or he can leave and I'll finish it myself.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Licensed Contractor

I'm guessing he won't like it, as his now installed baseboard will probably be too short. Even if you take away the sheetrock, shimming the jambs plumb and the jamb thickness will require moving the casings in toward the center of the opening, leaving a gap where the baseboards were once butted to the casing.
In any event, he is whacked if he thinks that is normal. At least on the eastern seaboard, anyway. I've never seen such a thing from an experienced contractor (seen some weird stuff from DIYers, though. Not that there's anything WRONG with that...)
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
tmpyankee

Yeah, he wasn't amused when I told him to re-do the openings. But the openings are very wide, so I did not require that he remove the rock from the jamb--just wrap it in trim wood. We can afford the decreased opening size a little bit. So that's what he's doing, happy or not.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!!!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #14

Glad to hear it worked out for you.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 AM   #15
tmpyankee

Well, I wish I could say it actually 'worked out' for me. Unfortunately, my contractor has not shown up or contacted me since this past Tuesday morning. Subsequently, I have learned that the police are looking for him for a few reasons and that he does methamphetamines. Nice, huh?

So I changed the locks and left messages for the contractor to call me--told him he's fired and not welcome on the property and that he must make an appointment to retrieve his tools. So far, I've heard nothing from him.

So much for hiring alleged professionals. I'm back to doing this stuff myself. And the first thing I'm going to do is remove all the crappy trim he did and do it over right this time.

Tags
drywall, finish, trim